Paul and Dixies Stanthorpe Quickie

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Paul and Dixies Stanthorpe Quickie, Day 3
Stanthorpe to Woodenbong via MT Lindsay Road.

Leaving Stanthorpe we saw a bit of rain ahead so took a brief detour up the biggest hill we could see, and discovered MT Mari lookout on the outskirts of town :)

The lookout only offered a view to the West over the township,

But a service road up to a comms tower offered additional views to the East ;)

The short time spent at the lookout was sufficient for the rain shower ahead to pass :) so we were back in business!
At this point our original intention was to turn South to Tenterfield,

The road sure looked inviting..
P1050181_zpsib5vj1oo.jpg
http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/p...y Rd 2016/P1050181_zpsib5vj1oo.jpg[/IMG][/URL

However we had decided on continuing to Liston for a coffee at a Lavender farm before returning to tackle the Tenterfield stretch..
The road to Liston wasnt too shabby either :)
P1050185_zpsdt74tfol.jpg

Not much to see riding through Liston.

Entering the Lavender farm.
P1050184_zpsrauc4enh.jpg
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums...y Rd 2016/P1050184_zpsrauc4enh.jpg[/IMG][/URL

After very average coffee, and a browse in the gift shop resulting in a few purchases, we got chatting to the down to earth owners and I asked about the condition of the road Northward to Legume,We were assured it was in good condition as they had only travelled it a few days before.
At this point we decided to extend our journey Northward as the surrounding countryside was just amazing, and we could revisit the original shorter route another day.
We were NOT dissappointed.
I reckon this place is photographed quite a bit judging by the track worn to its overgrown Arbor.

Welcome home.

Front gate long since unused.
P1050195_zpsbltduo5a.jpg
http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/p...y Rd 2016/P1050195_zpsbltduo5a.jpg[/IMG][/URL

I wonder about the large fireplace attatched to two small separated rooms? Has the main house been “lost” to fire or removed? It too would have had a fireplace.Where is it? Has this “outbuilding” been put in its place? As this building is some way from the Arbor I reckon a house stood between it and this building.
T.B.C

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oh yeah, this is good!!
Mate, you're starting to make your pics look pretty damn good!:clap::thumbs:

P1050181_zpsib5vj1oo.jpg

Keep going!!:so

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Oh yeah, this is good!!
Mate, you're starting to make your pics look pretty damn good!:clap::thumbs:

Keep going!!:so

Agreed. Great photography Paul. This one looks like a scene from the magic faraway tree.
I can imagine behind that arch is Joe, Bessie and Fanny's cottage.

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Back on the road, and the unsealed sections are indeed in good nick,with some roadworks currently in progress.
P1050198_zpslfcrtc3m.jpg

The road meanders through some timbered areas,

then rejoins the bitumen for the remained of the journey.
P1050209_zpsolsvl9ne.jpg

Despite having all this to ourselves :) I find we are idling along at 80 kmhr or so in 3rd gear, just soaking up “the ride” I think this is something of a Vstrom experience, as on our previous sports orientated bike, a road like this would have only encouraged much greater speeds...
P1050211_zpsy0i4rs3g.jpg

This old bridge near the locality of
“Old Koreela” appears to have been strengthened later in life by the addition of steel beams,as this road is used quite heavily by Semi Trailers hauling livestock the the abbottoir at nearby Killarney.
(I note the coincidence of -Kill- in Killarney)

Build date, and steel reinforcing evident.
P1050224_zpswjtpe9e1.jpg

Continuing on, we pass through another locality called “Lower Arcacia” , a dozen or so homes here but no services.I note the other local roads that required future exploration ;)

Just outside Legume village I reckon this conrete bridge deserves a photo or two ;)
Same build date as the previous bridge, but much more substantial in construction,and obviously capable of handling modern traffic 86 years later :)

Poor old creek has a few picturesque spots but is barely flowing.

The landscape opens up now, as we continue on towards Woodenbong, The roads namesake (Mount Lindsay) can be seen in the distance – centre of the image.

At this point, White Swamp Road looked VERY tempting (bookmarked for another day) ;)
P1050257_zpsuwtnrra2.jpg

Looking South towards Urbenville.

Bloody beautiful out here..

Mount Lindsay is drawing closer..

P1050291_zps565ypig2.jpg

Entering Woodenbong now.
http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/p...y Rd 2016/P1050306_zpsoqropztv.jpg[/IMG][/URL
P1050306_zpsoqropztv.jpg

So many choices!

We just made it to the motorcycle friendly pub in time for a late lunch, and availed ourselves of the reserved for Vstrom parking ;)
P1050314_zpsjnlpgbcu.jpg
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums...dsay Rd 2016/P1050314_zpsjnlpgbcu.jpg[/IMG][/

My Schooner burger was interrupted by a steak burger,chips and salad, no pictures,but lets just say we WILL be returning ;)
Great bar and food at sensible prices :)

“Ride Adv” advertising... because Adv riders “hang out” here?...or placed by a member who was pissed off?

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
.I note the other local roads that required future exploration ;)

That's GOTTA be the Lower Aacacia Church Rd., I bet! :bt

Looks like some iffy (but interesting) weather coming in...
Gotta get some AT stickers up to you to balance those ride- ADV stickers

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Cheers Pete! but the AT stickers wont be going in the toilets!!
maybe the "Ride ADV" stickers are in the restrooms because the Ride ADV fellas have their hand on it ? :wink:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Good stuff P&D, thanks for sharing.
:clap:

I remember that bridge on the Mount Lindesay Road (it was a Highway in earlier days) from my April-on-a-Bike Ride in 2013. Here's my pic, with some colour enhancement.

I traversed the road again just on 12 months ago, a few days after Haysey's fateful ride. From memory it was the day the Bananrama Group split at Allora, with Goodie, Pete and Tim repairing Tim's DR in a tin shed, and Crusty and I proceeding and then separating in Warwick.

I headed to Killarney, Legume and Urbenville via this route https://goo.gl/maps/pxMSAwgjFBs

As this road is in your backyard, I suspect you have ridden this one, if not get back on you bike and keep exploring, this one's worth it.

Re. the Mount Lindesay Road, it was in much, much, much better nick in 2015 than 2013. Well done to the Shire / DMR / whoever.
:clap:

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Cheers :chug: Willo!! I wanna go NOW!:endu :drool: we passed that road but I declined it due to tummy rumblings and unsure if the Urbenville pub kitchen would be open on the Monday (Dixie refuses to aknowledge "Schooner Burgers" as food :(
Rest assurred my friend, we will follow your path another day :) - cant wait!!
I last visited Tooloom Falls 30 years ago. I reckon its time to go back...
Another one is Beaury Creek road which is nearby.:drool:
Glad you have ridden some of the local roads up our way :D
We've got some catching up to do! :)

Top Bottom