Silverton with 9yo son

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The landscape around Wentworth was your typical red centre type dirt but then it turned into this very average looking grey scrub.

But it didn't take long to return to the red earth that I love.............

John_Johnny

Long Timer

There was a sign saying "Free Beer" and when I asked, the bar maid, (who was a bit of alright), said I had to complete the Silverton Challenge. She pulled out a wide brimmed hat, a large funnel and a ping pong ball and explained that I had to put the hat on my head and get the ball to roll out of the hat into the funnel without using my hands. Ok. I was up for this, but I wasn't allowed to touch the funnel, so after a bit of my suggestive flirting, she reached over and stuck the funnel down the front of my jeans. My cunning plan had worked and I reckon I was on a promise here. Now that I'd got her attention it was just a matter of getting that ball into the funnel...............

Easy really, but this is a family forum, so I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but if you're ever in Silverton you should try it!

John_Johnny

Long Timer

One of the Living Desert sculptures. Not my photo, I lifted it from Google images, but I did take some photos, just can't find them!

Between Silverton and Broken Hill is a reserve called the Living Desert. It's on a hill with majestic views over the desert landscape and has a number of impressive sculptures. We parked the bike in the car park and walked up to see the colours of the sunset illuminate these works of art. It was quite a long and steep walk given that we were in the desert. As the sun set, the colours changed through various shades of amber and red. Breathtaking! And then the stars appeared. It was a moonless night and this made the Milky Way clearly visible. We laid on the ground and pondered the meaning of life, our place in the universe.......and how good the chicken parmigiana was at the pub. Then we got up to leave and I started to realise we were the only people there and it was very dark.
I couldn't find the track. We walked for a while heading downhill but then it flattened out and still no track. Just rocks that we kept tripping over. There was a faint glow in the sky so I reckon that was Broken Hill, but it was getting very cold and I didn't like my chances of wandering through the desert towards that far away glow. Panic started to set in. No phone. No torch. Just us.
Eventually I walked into a chain strung between posts and followed it. After an hour, we found the carpark and the bike and it was ever so comforting to hear that big boxer engine fire up and the lights come on. It could have been a very different outcome.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Once upon a time Silverton was a bustling city of 3,000 people and even a tramway. Then the silver pickings ran slim and new strikes were opened in Broken Hill. Due to the remoteness of these places, all the buildings and materials in Silverton were simply picked up and moved to Broken Hill. There are still a few brick structures left and you can make out the patterns of the streets. We chatted to some locals. They were mainly arty farty types making pots, paintings and craft items. Mad Max was filmed here.

Next...Menindee

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Good stuff John. Which 9yo son is this?

And, before you leave Silverton ........

I took some pics in the Gallery, Helen said there was a "No Photos" sign, so out of respect I want reproduce them here.

School closed 1970.

A high point, just north of Silverton.

Pics are from the Ulysses Mildura AGM 2012 folder. Helen and I spent two weeks on the Mighty CB1300 travelling from Mildura to Melbourne via Wentworth, Broken Hill, Silverton, Quorn, Wilpena Sound ....... this is easier - https://goo.gl/maps/Yy7xhhvPUWT2

We can now return to normal viewing ..........

:watch:

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Great pics Willo. Wish I could find all mine. We also went over to Wilcannia but I wouldn't recommend that place to anyone. There were gangs of kids walking around with golf clubs smashing everything in sight. Even the petrol bowsers! We had to refuel at some roadhouse about 10 mile? East.

Good stuff John. Which 9yo son is this?

That's number 1 son Trevor. Number 2 son is Andy, Ayers Rock and Johnny is number 3 son. Still haven't figured out what's causing it.

Are those real Mad Max cars or copies?

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Menindee was deserted. There were a few blokes in the pub, but we couldn't find any signs of life elsewhere. It was hot and sunny. The caravan park was empty, yet the water was beautiful with willow trees draped over the sandy shores. A bit out of town we found a strip of holiday houses. Sunset Strip I think? Must have been a hundred holiday houses there but no people. Weird! Anyway, it was a lovely place and I want to go again. :thumbs:

Top Bottom