AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 17-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Williamson
Pit Crew

Default A little bit more of NZ ......

Our Saturday (30 April) evening arrival got off to a bad start with our Jetstar flight delayed a coupla hours, arrived a midnight. Even the upgrade to Business Class was not much consulation, as on an A320 this means you get in row 1 with a bit more leg room.

Checked into the Novetel over the road from baggage claim at 12:00 midnight, and checked out at midday Sunday - just what I needed, spend my first ever 12 hours on the north island in a fricken hotel room.

Picked rental RAV4, headed for motorway and Pukekohe, lunch, a walk, some sight seeing but no pics.

Overnight at Raglan - what quaint, sweet little spot that is, buzzing and humming with backpackers and holiday makers, plenty of cafes and restaurants open.

Found the Isobar (and a coupla pints of craft beer), and nice seafood restaurant via a seaside walk.

24 hour/2,600km from home, but Helen found her place.

Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: A little bit more of NZ ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamson View Post
.... spend my first ever 12 hours on the north island in a fricken hotel room.

80 years ago you woulda be over the moon with that
Old 18-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Williamson
Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
80 years ago you woulda be over the moon with that
...... I should've pretty pleased in current days.

From Raglan, we headed for Kawhai, on the way there were some spectacular views.

Lookout above Ngarunui Beach:

Te Toto:

The road was interesting, as were the signs:

I wondered what this sign means, after seeing many more in the following days, I'm none wiser. I don't remember them from the South Island in 2014, that's not surprising, I don't remember much from 2014.

So far the local people have been very welcoming, the residents here may also have been welcoming - if they were hungry - we didn't wait to find out.

The road had turned to gravel and although it was quite firm and the RAV handled it well, but the going was slow, very slow, and it was clear that at our rate we were not going to get to New Plymouth at a respectable time that evening, so we turned around headed back to Ragaln for a late bakery lunch.

A beef steak pie and vanilla custard slice went down well. Yummmm ....... I might need to add Raglan to the Best Biken Bakeries thread on ADV

After lunch, we found a Bridal Falls:

Despite the U-turn, we still didn't make it to New Plymouth, but we did get to Taumarunui for the night.
Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
nev
Super Térrarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamson View Post
The road was interesting, as were the signs:

I wondered what this sign means, after seeing many more in the following days, I'm none wiser. I don't remember them from the South Island in 2014, that's not surprising, I don't remember much from 2014.
It's an exclamation mark warning sign. It means you should be on the lookout for some hazard. They're all over the south island.

nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Good stuff!

Any chance to either reduce your pic sizes before uploading...or link to a smaller version if that's possible on Photobucket (as it is with SmugMug etc).

The pics are HUGE and once there's a whole page full of them, will take ages to load.
It makes anyone looking into the thread download hundreds of megabytes PER PAGE! (each single pic is ~13mb!!) ....before the forum software knocks them down to 1600 width to actually make them screen-usable, which requires even more time as the entire image has to be downloaded first before it can be processed. Multiply by ....50? images per page!

For comparison, to download a single one of the shots above takes the same time as downloading about 40 pics in Doug's yarn.

You somehow got that first pic down to 960 width, which loads instantly.