a day off school

MooN

Tour Pro
N°1 daughter (12, going on 18...!) had a day off school today, all ther teachers are marking exams or something, so for the first time in an age we were just the two of us cos the twins teachers were working as normal. We thought we'd go for a ride as we usually can't cos of the others. i've been meaning to take her to have a look at the tresor de Vix for a while & it being about an hour away by bike I suggested that as a destination & she jumped at the chance.

It took us a while to sort her gear out cos the jacket she had last year is just waaaay too small now, but by pushing up the sleeves of her mum's old bike jacket & undoing the zippy bits that give an extra inch on her bike trousers, we were fit to go.

20140701_111527_zpscf99d2d9.jpg

8ok's there, so probably the furthest I've taken her in one hit, but no problems (no pics either) and the weather was pretty much ideal, if a little windy.

The Vix Krater
20140701_142051_zps634b57ec.jpg

20140701_142122_zps9918469e.jpg

came home via montbard cos N°1 wanted to do the col de Cremant, above Bailly, on the bike & we got in around 5, having done 196k, & spent an agreeable day together without all the others, which is sufficiently rare in itself to be noteworthy. It's also a step towards going further afield with her on the bike. one pic from the route home,

20140701_160523_zps4850b430.jpg

the route
http://goo.gl/maps/C4aex

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Nice looking old vase Moon, any idea of the age?

.... love taking my kids as a pillion.

Use to be good, but not these days the boys are too tall, too heavy for my comfort.

Another factor is I don't want any of my kids to get a likeing for motorcycling, it's to bloody dangerous.

Which reminds me, they (two sons, one daughter) have asked for an opportunity to ride my bikes - I've banned them, but I have offered the daughter's boyfriend the Mighty CB and even the Mighty ST for a ride - now why could that be?
:bees:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The Vix Krater
20140701_142051_zps634b57ec.jpg

:wot:
You didn't cook her in that, did'cha?
:wot:

Holy schmoke, that's one hell of a pot!!

Wiki's got a bit on it...

The area around the village of Vix in northern Burgundy, France is the site of an important prehistoric complex from the Celtic Late Hallstatt and Early La Tène periods, comprising an important fortified settlement and several burial mounds. The most famous of the latter, the Vix Grave, also known as the grave of the Lady of Vix, dates to circa 500 BC. Her grave had never been looted and contained remarkably rich grave offerings (collectively sometimes known as the Trésor de Vix), including a great deal of jewellery and the Vix krater, the largest known metal vessel from antiquity — being 1.63 m (5'4") in height.[1]

Good yarn, mate...thanks for posting it up.
And yeah, she looks better than you... :chug:

Which reminds me, they (two sons, one daughter) have asked for an opportunity to ride my bikes - I've banned them, but I have offered the daughter's boyfriend the Mighty CB and even the Mighty ST for a ride - now why could that be?
:bees:

:killingme....dads...all the same :bs

MooN

Tour Pro
Nice looking old vase Moon, any idea of the age?

It can hold 1100 litres...:scull:

They think it was originally made in greece, or possibly Sparta. The tomb where it was found dates from around 480BC so it's likely that the vase was made around 500BC or a little earlier.:wow:

That means that it's even older than my bike! :shock:

shanekfalcon

Getting the hang of it
Very cool. I miss the weekends trail bike riding with my boys, especially the youngest. He's now all grown up and has other interests which include hunting. Time flies but there isn't much better than riding with family.

Top Bottom