The Steeps Of Mt. Dandy

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
After skidding down the thick, loose gravel on Hackett's, we tried this one from the bottom up...

DandySteep_M_03.JPG

Going up the narrow clay/ embedded gravel lane I was starting to wonder when things would start to climb skywards....

Hello!

DandySteep_14.JPG

Hmmmm...this could get interesting

DandySteep_15.JPG

...and just when you thought "I'll try for the ridge in the middle", the graveled twin-track curves behind some scrub and climbs steeply to the crossroads up above.

DandySteep_M_04.JPG

Looking back down...I wouldn't want to go down that one on a fresh blanket of gravel, even if it's only as short as what it is....the chance of residents and deliveries going/ coming either way, driveways and 4ft. thick gumtrees with that S-bend in the middle blocking the view... could turns things nasty.

More sweet stuff not far away...

DandySteep_16.JPG

From the old favourite, Johns Hill Reserve

DandySteep_M_06.JPG

Fantastic views across Monbulk and the Yarra Valley to a pitch-black Kinglake Ridge

DandySteep_17.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
A local walking his dog promises some more glorious views from a spot not far away:
"Awesome vistas, mate...and all unobstructed, no trees or buidings or what-have-you".

On the money!!

DandySteep_M_08.JPG

DandySteep_M_07.JPG

Straight south across the Cardinia Reservoir and Pakenham, to Westernport Bay and French Island in the distance...

DandySteep_18.JPG

...to Cranbourne, Frankston, the Mornington Peninsula....

DandySteep_19.JPG

and the dropping ridge line of Arthurs Seat just on 70km away.

DandySteep_20.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
"Let's make tracks, otherwise we'll get a wet bum, mate"

DandySteep_21.JPG

DandySteep_22.JPG

Barely 30mins later we're on an entirely deserted Beenak Rd. on the way to Kurth Kiln Park.
Nawww, not THAT Beenak Rd., not the East Beenak, Lower Beenak or Beenak Hill nor any of all the other Beenaks around...but just plain, old Beenak Rd.....while the wind is gusting and bending the trees over like matchsticks. There's definitely some weather on the way...

DandySteep_M_09.JPG

DandySteep_24.JPG

DandySteep_23.JPG

Same shot, different focus

DandySteep_25.JPG

DandySteep_26.JPG

Time to make a run for it...

DandySteep_28.JPG

....looks like someone beat us to it.

DandySteep_29.JPG

Hopped across Panton's Gap into Healesville for a coffee before copping a few drops/ drizzle on the way home.

Now for finding a few more climbs around the neighbourhood, something to string together a few short runs through the winter months.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Great pics from my neck of the woods. My Sat morning paper round takes me down Portman Rd; if it's wet, or very dry, the old van goes down in 1st gear, slowly & crossed up ! :thumbs: .

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
... if it's wet, or very dry, the old van goes down in 1st gear, slowly & crossed up ! :thumbs: .

I can imagine...that top part is bloody steep and those massive, old gums look like the posts of a pinball machine :eek: :bs
Taking a van down there sure takes some nerve!!

omi

Getting the hang of it
hi pete and goody ! i'm speechless, and this all around the backdoor. the world is still beautiful , we just have to see it.thanks for this phantastik photos . omi

r m

Tour Pro
I live in Belgrave South - if you want steep gravel try zig zag road. I have to warn people now if they are coming to my house for the first time and using gps that they should ignore the instructions to take zig zag rd. A few people have turned up looking a bit shell-shocked after trying it in a standard car. It is not long but it is pretty steep. Also, Engelke Rd might be interesting for a few km's of dirt road.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I live in Belgrave South - if you want steep gravel try zig zag road. I have to warn people now if they are coming to my house for the first time and using gps that they should ignore the instructions to take zig zag rd. A few people have turned up looking a bit shell-shocked after trying it in a standard car. It is not long but it is pretty steep. Also, Engelke Rd might be interesting for a few km's of dirt road.

Thanks for the heads up...will go and have a look coming weekend, forgot the camera yesterday when tripping over some noteworthy steeps out the back of Mt. Evelyn/ Coldstream.

Top Bottom