Latrobe State Forest, Fumina and Beyond.

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Tuesday 10/1 was the day to get out on the bike for some more exploring.
First stop for the day was Camp Hill Lookout at the northern end of Lardners Track.
PICT0001.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0006_1.jpg

Entered the Latrobe State Forest via Latrobe River Rd, a well graveled road.
PICT0013.jpg

Latrobe River bridge.
PICT0014.jpg

Hawthorn Creek Rd to the left, Wild Bull Rd center, Kings Rd to the Right.
PICT0016.jpg

Went left first along Hawthorn Creek Rd, reasonable to good road mostly hard packed clay. Easy ride with lots of spoon drains across the road so best to throttle back and take it easy.
PICT0017.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

Hawthorn Creek Rd ends at Ferguson Rd and Duggan road. Looking South Hawthorn Creek Rd to the right, Fergusons to the left.
PICT0019.jpg

Looking North Ferguson to the left, I went right along Duggan Rd which ends at the Willow grove Rd just south of the Fumina turn off.
PICT0020.jpg

Duggan Rd started out with a rock layer which is easy enough if you don't be a hero.
Soon became clay / dirt with a lot of leaf litter, easy if you take your time.
PICT0021.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

Onwards to Fumina.
Nice little valley with views.
PICT0023.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

Ballentynes rd to the left, Simpsons Rd to the right.
PICT0029.jpg

Simpsons Rd starts out with rock base past the logging coup.
PICT0031.jpg

Then turns to Clay with the usual litter on a low traffic forest rd.
PICT0032.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

Lots or tree ferns to see.
PICT0034.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

Road starts to descend to the Tanjil River West Branch,
PICT0035.jpg

where there is a picnic area and a shallow ford. I have already crossed.
PICT0043.jpg

The lower part (1km?) of the drop down to the ford looks like it could become a series of bog holes. The drains across the road have been chewed up and could hold water in them. Light bikes will probably be ok, but anyone on a pig might be there for a while.

Relatively easy ride till Rowleys Rd.
PICT0045.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

Towards the end of Simpsons Rd, you come to a logging coup T intersection with no signs. Simpsons Rd continues left, passes through the Simpson Rd Quarry with these signs as you exit the north of the quarry.
PICT0047.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0049.jpg

I turned right at Rowleys Rd, and then right at Costins Rd (both well graveled easy fast roads) which took me back to Willow Grove Rd.
Turned left at Willow grove Rd for about 3 kms, and then right at Kings Rd back into Latrobe State Forest and onwards to the Latrobe River bridge were I was earlier.
I Turned right onto Wild Bull Rd and straight into a steepish climb with lots of erosion humps that seemed to go forever, about 3 to 5 kms. Too busy to stop. At the top came across this all locked up with no one around.
PICT0050.jpg

Soon settled in to a easy wander through the trees,
PICT0052.jpg

and then noticed these.
PICT0053.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Optical Fibre cable through here!
Wild Bull Rd terminates back at Ferguson Rd, I went left and headed to Baw Baw Rd. Turned left again and headed to Noojee. And here I made my first stuff up of the day, I entered the western end of Vespers rd to see what state it was in. It's less overgrown than when I was last in there. Was progressing well at 20 to 30kph until I came across the saddle bag killer.
PICT0055.jpg

I failed to swing far enough left and spiked the right hand saddle bag on the branch just as I launched the front over the main trunk. The spear brought me to a sudden stop unbalanced to the right, and took a wee nap in the debris. Shite happens. Eventually dragged it all out backwards and continued home.
sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

230 kms over 7 hours of travel time, was a top day out.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I Turned right onto Wild Bull Rd and straight into a steepish climb with lots of erosion humps that seemed to go forever, about 3 to 5 kms. Too busy to stop.

Hooray!
Wild Bull indeed, yeehaw :clap::thumbs:

Might've gotten a few turns wrong here, but tried to trace it.

What a varied loop...a bit of everything from bush-roads to creek crossings, shady picnic areas to scenic views...NICE!!

Bummer about that bag, though....the second I saw the pic I knew what'd happened. Repairable?
Tks for the yarn and pics, this is good!:bow::chug:

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Hooray!
Wild Bull indeed, yeehaw :clap::thumbs:

Might've gotten a few turns wrong here, but tried to trace it.

What a varied loop...a bit of everything from bush-roads to creek crossings, shady picnic areas to scenic views...NICE!!

Bummer about that bag, though....the second I saw the pic I knew what'd happened. Repairable?
Tks for the yarn and pics, this is good!:bow::chug:

Your map is pretty well spot on.

Bags are 12 years old, not worth repairing now. Originally bought for my GS500, used on the GT and the 'Strom. I've well and truly got my value out of them.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Your map is pretty well spot on.

Bags are 12 years old, not worth repairing now. Originally bought for my GS500, used on the GT and the 'Strom. I've well and truly got my value out of them.

Fair enough...check with Tim SF, he might have something in the garage!

I sort of now, but I carry good maps.

Tks for the reminder....will pack the SV for the Sunday!:bow:

Top Bottom