Over The Shoulder....Rides through the Decades

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2007...Flower Power

December

Still chewing on that incredible HIGH of the Tornanti ride, nothing local would really cut it.
No offence, but after those 6 weeks, our perceptions had somewhat shifted.

So we took the cage for a few days, threw a tent in the back and went for the hills.

Acheron Way

FPXmas06.jpg

Mt. Buffalo from Powers Lookout

FPXmas08.jpg

FPXmas09.jpg

Mt. Buffalo

FPXmas17.jpg

At Mt. Hotham

FPXmas23.jpg

More pics etc here:
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2008...Charge of the Midgets _ The Run North

Early May 2008

2 weeks

After plenty of talk, it was time to either shit or get off the pot.
Which left Goodie and Yours Truly.

CapeShape0299.jpg

Freighted the 2 little CT's to Brisbane, then rode them up the coast to Cains....via Cooloola....and Fraser Island...and...and...

A quick quote from the ride report says it best:
It’s a tale of deep joy, of desperate situations, of lots of warmth and the best of human interactions.
A tale of making mistakes (and learning from them)…of “impossible” routes and nearly getting beaten by the circumstances.

Of busted engines, T-shirt-riding along 90km beaches and cruising the twisties through the sugar-cane fields and banana-plantations of Northern Queensland.

Of getting bogged… running against incoming tides and ferry-departure-times….of saving the precious camera while sinking rapidly into sandy creeks, arse first.
Of shivering into the sinking sun on the washed-over decks of the barge to Hervey Bay in a half-meter swell…and of meeting lots and lots of wonderful people along the way.

Best-Of-All??
Doing all this as an early celebration of our 30th anniversary with my best mate in life

CapeShape0057.jpg

CapeShape0082.jpg

CapeShape0125.jpg

CapeShape0140.jpg

CapeShape0194.jpg

Bowen, Yacht Harbour

CapeShape0237.jpg

Dunk Island from Mission Beach

CapeShape0279.jpg

Lake Tinaroo, Atherton Tablelands

CapeShape0329.jpg

Stored the bikes with Heath from Gilders Transport in Cairns...ready for part 2 of the tale.
If you thought this was crazy...just wait for the sequel!! BWAHHAAAHHA

For all of the yarns and pics:
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1734

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2008...Easter

Oops, missed one.
Only got a couple of pics and can't remember where we actually went.
Being Easter, a 4 or 5 day ride sounds about right, though.

At least Stewy came along, Goodie was there...beyond that??

Moyhu Caravan Park (the tiny one next to the pub, GREAT place !!)

Moyhu1.JPG

Moyhu2.JPG

stewy

Still young and stupid
Re: Over The Shoulder....Rides Of A Decade

was that the ride danny showed up in summer leathers for a winter ride through the snowys, I forgot to turn of the phone alarm, and it went off at like 5.30am and goodie was less then impressed, and we pushed started one of the wtf when it had a 'glitch' (get it, see what i did? :rofl:) and you 2 went home and then met us about 2 days later near the mitta mitta bridge?

Yeah that ride was like no other I have been on.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2008...Charge of the Midgets _ Cape Run

August/ September saw the 2. part of this stoopid caper :doh:

The Run To The Cape:

Glen from Brissie and Rowan from Hobart had come good pretty much at the last minute...no time for details, just get the bikes ready as best you can, get a seat on a winger to Cairns and ....let it rip.
No backup, no 4WD coming along for spares or supplies, just carry everything and hope for the best.

Cape York and ~3000km of dirt, dust and 4WD tracks in 3 weeks....

...on a dinkytoy.

CYP025.JPG

Oops....

CYP061.JPG

The day after it was out turn...

CYP085.JPG

Another local

CYP076.JPG

A "shower" on the Cape

CYP132b.JPG

CYP150a.JPG

CYP157.JPG

CYP162b.JPG

The mighty "recovery-CT"...just helping out :rofl:

CYP175.JPG

Punsand Bay, The Cape

CYP216.JPG

CYP227.JPG

Whaddaya mean, Bulldust??

CYP253.JPG

RAW Postie-POWER!! :guff

CYP255a.JPG

It's still a bloody long way home...

CYP263.JPG

This...THIS....was one trip, I'll never forget!!

For all the pics, the yarns and little chinks:

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1925

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

was that the ride danny showed up in summer leathers for a winter ride through the snowys, I forgot to turn of the phone alarm, and it went off at like 5.30am and goodie was less then impressed, and we pushed started one of the wtf when it had a 'glitch' (get it, see what i did? :rofl:) and you 2 went home and then met us about 2 days later near the mitta mitta bridge?

No real idea...but sounds somewhat familiar.
Started off in Stratford or thereabouts....Goodie's battery conked out and we left the bike around the back of the maintenance shed of the caravan park... went home, got a spare batt and some other stuff to make sure, then met up again.

Yeah, that sounds right...must've been a long Weekend of some sort.
Danny still around?

stewy

Still young and stupid

Danny still around?

Yep, mostly rides dirtbikes now, seem to catch up more over a beer then on the road now though but it mostly cos I haven't been in the saddle this year, haven't ridden for probably 6 months or so now and only got out a couple of times last summer :(

goodie

Yeah, that is right! Danny got so cold that he ended up wearing Pete's jumper over the top of his jacket. :p
And you, Stewy, left bits and pieces behind everywhere. A tyre needed to be replaced and you always wanted to go back and collect the old one later, your jumper/jacket at the pub in Moyhu... which couldn't be retrieved in the morning as the pub was still closed by the time we left and there was something else, but can't remember right now.

Great ride it was..... :thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

.... mostly cos I haven't been in the saddle this year, haven't ridden for probably 6 months or so now and only got out a couple of times last summer :(

:eek::eek: What's happening? :(

Good to hear about Danny.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2008...Beef'n Reef #2

Another Cup Weekend (November), might as well make a week of it.

Only Nev (on the Buell Uly now).... Jo on the new BM650GS twin just after an offroad-course... Marty on the "Toothy"-Strom and the 2 WTFs with Goodie and I signed in for this one.

Things got a bit dusty sometimes

bnr2_001.jpg

Busted belt on the Buell in the bush around Tolmie

bnr2_008.jpg

Rode the Whitfield-Lake Buffalo Rd, Trappers across to Mitta Mitta and enjoyed the hospitality, bumfluff included

bnr2_013f.jpg

Crunchy mornings before hitting the Namadgi National Park and some old Apollo13 tracking stations in the ACT

bnr2_015.jpg

Captains Flat area...looking towards the coast

bnr2_018.jpg

Bermagui...Tathra and cutting back via some choice tracks to Jindabyne

bnr2_035.jpg

The Bonang, The Barry Way, Mc Killops and the Dargo High Plains....

bnr2_060.jpg

....whoohoo, what a cracker of a week!!

bnr2_064.jpg

C'mon....go and have a look at the whole lot!!
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1975

bnr2_022.jpg

Top Bottom