Grand Final Day...in Paradise!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
To get it over and done with:

I hereby declare the Annual Footy Grand Final Day a

"MUST-RIDE"-DAY!!

Period! :drool::drool:
No crowds, no traffic, no hectic, no 4WD-yahoos raping the bush tracks, no cop cars or radar ANYWHERE!!!...not even a lousy echidna and only one solitary wayward wallaby on the Rowleys Ridge....Grand Final Day is THE day to ride FREE!

Monbulk Central....not everything has been suburbanized yet.

GrFinDay_M_01.JPG

Sounds like an interesting Monday night coming up :eek:

GrFinDay_M_02.JPG

Willo and the mighty XT showed up in Gembrook. :thumbs:

GrFinDay_M_03.JPG

Gembrook Terminal of the Puffing Billy looking neat and clean on a sparkler of a morning.

GrFinDay_M_04.JPG

Saying goodbyes...Pete (twowheeler) and the still shiny K13, despite a dusty cruise through Bunyip State Park.
Quick break at the Blue Rock Dam

GrFinDay_M_05.JPG

Southern end of the Rowleys Ridge

GrFinDay_02.JPG

GrFinDay_01.JPG

Tanjil River Bridge

GrFinDay_M_06.JPG

Easy cruisin'...

GrFinDay_03.JPG

GrFinDay_04.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
One of the clear spots....Latrobe Vally and Mt. Worth State Park in the background

GrFinDay_05.JPG

Brad letting the Husky fly

GrFinDay_06.JPG

GrFinDay_07.JPG

Getting closer to that "paradise" bit.... sweet as, bro!!
The slopes of Mt. BawBaw in the background.

GrFinDay_08.JPG

Loads and loads of fresh, thick, 1" gravel, just to keep things interesting.

GrFinDay_09.JPG

Sparkler, I tellsya!! :clap::clap:

GrFinDay_10.JPG

A dogleg out of Tanjil Bren and we're on the 9Mile Rd. shortly after.
More "paradise" stuff....

GrFinDay_11.JPG

Finishing at The Triangle, the Woods Point Rd. to Cumberland junction is a plain, old SHITTER at the moment :bang:...the loose gravel up to 6" deep just off the central wheel tracks, some MAJOR potholes following a smooth, encouraging clay run up a blind crest nearly rip the front-end out of the headstem, some other roadworks filling deep corrugations with deep, floury, soft shyte for some pack-the-daks-polka....it's a busy 45k or so to Cumberland Junction :doh::doh:

Hot and dusty, Doug and self are the final remains of the morning's troupe and we're on for a sweet and lonely dance across the top towards Marysville before abandoning the twisties for some more gravel, a track that's been irking me for a while as it ties in with some other, spectacular gravel roads above Marysville, connecting into the Acheron for a convenient, traffic-free way home.

GrFinDay_13.JPG

GrFinDay_14.JPG

Here we go ....20k's of paradise, rockin' + rollin' along the ridge, rollercoasting the alley of bleached, dead trees, blue skies above, The Cathedrals a distant backdrop, Marysville, Buxton and other places at our feet.

PARADISE!! :glu:glu

GrFinDay_15.JPG

GrFinDay_19.JPG

GrFinDay_17.JPG

GrFinDay_20.JPG

The Paradise High Plains morphing into the Strickland Spur....with Lake Mountain bringing up the rear. AWESOME stuff!! :lao:chug:

GrFinDay_21.JPG

GrFinDay_23.JPG

GrFinDay_25.JPG

Descending the spur towards the Acheron, views are just as mouth-watering....the Yarra Valley through the trough in the hills.

GrFinDay_26.JPG

Some Monteith Black set the mood for yet another "ride"...but I'll leave that to Doug :eek: :bs:bs

Great day out...and All Hail Grand Final Day, hoo-bloody-ray!! :chug:

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Oh yes, it's a must ride day for sure, but everyone has their limits.
The Croydon Brewery was a nice end to a fantasic day....

BUT, a pushy?

Be still my beating heart. :killingme

IMG_1698-XL.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Google Map link, please. Some of us dream of a re-enactment.

Re-enactment there will be, no sweat.
Gmaps baulks at the "Paradise" bit, reckons there's no trafficable road/track up there even with extreme zoom and in "walking" mode.

I'll post a shorter ride pretty soon, just an Acheron/Lake Mtn/Reefton loop with a few little extras thrown in to pad things out a bit. Sort of a 1/2 day-3/4 day thingy.:scull:

twowheeler

two wheels are best
A handful of pics from me. Joined everyone at Gembrook and rode along until the Blue Rock Dam, mostly on roads I've never been on before -

Then all my fwiends wode away and left me on my lonesome :( -

But's that's OK, sketchy gravel and the Bender don't really go together :wink: .

So I went my own way, through green green Gippsland, near Icy Creek -

Then up Baw Baw -

Stopping for coffee and cake at the top -

Back home along this fab road via Noojee, crossing paths with Squizzy again for a short bit near Gladysdale. In the door 20mins before the start of the Grand Final, that's serendipity :wink: .

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Gippsland in Springtime, reminds me of NZ's Waikato region. (Minus the Gum trees )

IMG_1676-XL.jpg

Bugger all traffic, just scenery and dirt roads.

IMG_1675-X2.jpg

Simply stunning riding amongst the tall gum trees.

IMG_1679-XL.jpg

A bit of a re-group somewhere in the whop-whops. Gave Squizzy time to set the aircon (by mobile app) on the beemer. :bees:

IMG_1684-XL.jpg

This bloke turned up for a chat, but he didn't shut the bike off. Combined with the full face helmet, everything he said was lost in the 2 stroke zing.

IMG_1685-XL.jpg

Goodie, quietly motoring through the forest.

IMG_1691-XL.jpg

I don't know whats killed all those trees, but to see them swaying in the stiff breeze, made you very aware. There was lots of evidence of trees down on the roadways.

IMG_1694-XL.jpg

What a thoroughly enjoyable day. Thanks to everyone that came along. It was a fantastic day out. :chug:

Top Bottom