Early Easter Overnighter

Squizzy

Long Timer
Could not make Glitch's easter trip, but had the Thursday off, so decided to have an overnighter Thursday/Friday. Also wanted to try the Aldi tent I bought last year and the Helinox cot bed I just bought
https://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-cot-one.php

Left about 8 Thursday morning, bit misty in the Yarra Valley

P1010752-M.jpg

The fog and mist followed me all the way to Bonnie Doon where I had a comfort stop. Mansfield was very busy as expected and continued across to Whitfield, then the Rose River rd to Myrtleford.

P1010756-M.jpg

Nearly got cleaned up by a police 4wd coming out into the town, but he was busy chasing another 4wd with a van.
Decided to go up to Hotham, road was very nice with not much traffic to contend with.

P1010784-M.jpg

Not too chilly at the top.

P1010791-M.jpg

Found a nice camping spot 25k before Omeo, Victoria Falls.

P1010797-M.jpg

P1010796-M.jpg

P1010800-M.jpg

There used to be a mine and hydro electric scheme here many years ago. The falls were about 5 k further on so I did not get there.
Anyway, the cot bed was excellent, no sore back in the morning and it packed up quite well. As far as the tent goes, I think it would make a great summer tent, plenty of ventilation, which is great in warmer weather! It was a bit brisk in the morning.

P1010804-M.jpg

Left around 9 and down the the Great Alpine Rd. Bairnsdale was crazy with traffic going the other way. Went across to Lindenow and through the forest to Briagalong. Been some fires through here a while ago.

P1010823-M.jpg

Regrowth was good to see.

P1010826-M.jpg

It started raining at Boisdale.

P1010830-M.jpg

Went home through Maffra, Heyfield, Willow Grove the across to Noojee. They have fixed up the road from Willow Grove to Noojee, so no potholes for a while.

Got home about 5. Nice ride of around 830k. Will keep the cot bed and the Aldi tent for summer use only!

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Yeah, cot bed doesn't offer much, if any insulation underneath you, so not the best for cold weather tenting. I would be concerned that the feet could cause damage to the floor of the tent as well. There's 6 pressure points so you'd want to pick your tent site pretty carefully. Looks like you had a nice camp spot and fairly quiet before the main Easter break?

Get yourself an Exped mat for the colder stuff. I have the Synmat 7 pump, but you can get the one without the pump where the bag is the pump (Snozzle Bag!) which saves a little weight and lets it pack up a tiny bit smaller.

How do you find the Wolfman Expedition tank bag? I have the same one on the Terra, and whilst there is no risk of zips getting fouled up with dust, it can be a bit of a pain to get into

Squizzy

Long Timer
The tank bag is a bit of a pain to get into, but it is pretty weatherproof. I have a 3/4 length exped downmat that I used on top of the cot bed, I did not inflate it fully, so it was quite comfy. They are developing a insulating mat that will clip onto the underside of the bed which could also work well.When I bought the tent 12 months ago, I set it up, but forget about that it is mostly mesh from halfway up. As I said, nice for summer, I have a Vango tent I will use for the next trip. The site was nice and quiet, just myself and an couple in a van, who offered me a coffee when I had set up camp. Nice people from Swan Hill travelling around.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Sweet loop for an overnighter :thumbs:

Bummer you copped the same crappy weather on Friday though....it really wasn't much fun going across Mt. Skene in that slop, so you didn't miss much there.
Sat was a pearler, though!!
Good to see you happy about that cot.
Goodie bought a couple of those chairs before the Tassie trip, they're now well and truly smoked by the Lake Leake campfires and even do "visitors"-duties in the garage :bs

Top Bottom