Phillip Island weekend

Moyston

Getting the hang of this.
nev, i find that hard to belive that it the reason..we have a house not to far away and you cannot hear it...broadford does as much testing etc with 4 diff types of circuits and there are houses there and there is no trade off...

they do weekends and weekdays as well as winton.

ive been going there for years...and this year i think there was next to nothing on weekends...previously there was....they just posted next years and there is not one until june!...there are not many houses near the track...and bikes do not make the same noise as an F1. they are 147Db . bit of a diff to a bike at 95db and an open area ...

nev

Super Térrarist
nev, i find that hard to belive that it the reason..we have a house not to far away and you cannot hear it...broadford does as much testing etc with 4 diff types of circuits and there are houses there and there is no trade off...

they do weekends and weekdays as well as winton.

ive been going there for years...and this year i think there was next to nothing on weekends...previously there was....they just posted next years and there is not one until june!...there are not many houses near the track...and bikes do not make the same noise as an F1. they are 147Db . bit of a diff to a bike at 95db and an open area ...

That's just the way I remember it from when the 75db rule was introduced in the early 90s. The alternative was that the track operators would lose their licence and it would become farmland again.

Also, I believe the 75db is measured at the side of the track, not next to the bike. In a normal noise test, the measurement is taken from a very close distance to the exhaust, only 1 or two metres. The other thing to consider here with regard to noise tests and legal limits, is that the rule of thumb noise test is to hold the throttle steady open at 50% of redline and take the measurement. Bikes and cars around the track aren't doing 50% of redline though are they. You're pounding down the main straight with the throttle fully open and bouncing off the rev limiter, so even vehicles which pass the legal noise test might be very very noisy when on the track.

Moyston

yep i hear ya...well how you measure it is correct..

I looked up sydney eastern creek and they have days on weekend as well as week and its in a built up area....its run by the same people so dont understand the logic they use down here...they use the track for same and they have just opended up the gp circuit as well last year...
it was farmland but lindsay fox bought it and built it...well before it become a current developement of all fancy houses there they are asking a song for....

still think its for a minority of people who whinge and moan that spoil it for a majority of others....like a lot of other things...

just a bit of triva...75db is equivalent of flushing a toilet...so how they can have a race track with bikes on it and be as loud as a toilet...stuff me

I found this on a site on phillip island saying they can run them with the following terms...so i just dont know who is making the rules or reasons...this was taken in 2012 the following chart...

so you can run weekend rides or track days at up to 95db...

Legend Class Noise
Limit Examples of Activities within the class

Midweek Days - Weekend Days Above 95dB(A) Loudest

International Events International

B
Up to 95dB(A) Quite Loud
National Events, Motor bike Ride Days ,International Events ,Club Sprints

C
Up to 75dB(A) *Moderate
Club Sprints ,Vehicle Launches ,Driver Training ,Rider Training

D
Quiet **Quiet
Push bike racing ,Running events ,Go karts

sorry..off soap box now...

nev

Super Térrarist
I looked up sydney eastern creek and they have days on weekend as well as week and its in a built up area....its run by the same people so dont understand the logic they use down here.

Because Linfox don't set the limits

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Pete....LOVE the post, a big thanks for posting up.
Love the "after" shots on the way home a lot more than the "racing" stuff, but that's just me.
Man, you've got a knack to take road-bikes where they shouldn't go...and come out of it to tell the tale (and show the excellent pics).

As for the "chipper"....nothing much wrong with that lid, whack a sticker over the top, it's only the gel-coat that's chipped off.....just like a chip in a motel's fibreglass shower cabinet.

15705970751_40b59bffe7_b.jpg

Did exactly the same thing to the Shoei flipper last week in NZ, it's now sprouting a batch of stickers to hide the 10c big chip in the gelcoat.

Nothing wrong with the helmet....just the paint-finish.
It's like an M+M...the sugar coating's shit, the good stuff is underneath :)

twowheeler

two wheels are best
As for the "chipper"....nothing much wrong with that lid, whack a sticker over the top, it's only the gel-coat that's chipped off.....just like a chip in a motel's fibreglass shower cabinet.

It's such a comfy helmet I don't really want to replace it. A KTM sticker would match the orange ....

Last edited:

Moyston

try maybe some nail polish same colour and just dab a bit on or a car colour pen if you can get a similar match......

Top Bottom