Cup Day Shorty

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The deserted roads of a Cup-Day morning.
A chilly stint along the Kinglake ridge.
Dry roads, still-damp dirt and gravel to keep the dust down.
Peace!
Glary, white sky washing out most colour and definition, not so great for photography but perfect
for finding yet more little gravel-backroads.

...and enough morning sun to crack the bark and display some rich-coloured gum-sap.

CupDay15_01.JPG

The rolling hills of Melbourne's North

CupDay15_02.JPG

Wandering around the backroads...

CupDay15_04.JPG

"The Curlies" along the way to Strath Creek

CupDay15_05.JPG

CupDay15_06.JPG

CupDay15_07.JPG

How sweet it is...

CupDay15_08.JPG

CupDay15_10.JPG

CupDay15_12.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Despite the loud banging and voices from the empty shell of the old Strath Creek Pub, nothing much has changed there.
The old Beer Garden is slowly re-taken by nature, windows boarded up....

......maybe 2016 then ??

CupDay15_13.JPG

CupDay15_14.JPG

Painting the other street corner in town all colourful and certainly something to "blow about"...

CupDay15_19.JPG

CupDay15_15.JPG

CupDay15_16.JPG

CupDay15_17.JPG

EHH!!! I'm looking at YOU!!

CupDay15_18.JPG

Towards Yea now....and I've been looking for this little shortcut on the maps for years...

CupDay15_20.JPG

CupDay15_21.JPG

Serenity...with a capital-S!!

CupDay15_22.JPG

A crest and lookout covered in wild oats....

CupDay15_23.JPG

CupDay15_24.JPG

I could sit here for hours....

CupDay15_25.JPG

CupDay15_26.JPG

Back to the hwy, lunch in a jam-packed Yea, Glenburn and a quick skid along Gordons Bridge and the Old Mt. Slide into Steels Creek.
Late start--early finish.... a bit over 200k's....and enough "soul" to keep me happy through the working-week.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
For those who are on FB, check out the Strath Creek Brewery page.

Latest opening update I could see was January.

Wow! they've been doing some serious works inside the place. :thumbs:

If the food they're whipping up for the workers is anything to go by, this place may well become a favourite....:so

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Latest opening update I could see was January.

The place was totally gutted, nearly all flooring was in and most of the partitioning walls up....as of yesterday.

There's a looooong way to go yet before they'll get onto the brewery-part of things ...or any external work. Or re-doing the beer-garden/ outdoor areas/ car parks etc etc.
Once up and going, it certainly will become a popular place quickly.

nev

Super Térrarist
Wow, that's great to see someone bought the place, because last I heard the place was pretty much condemned and unlikely to reopen. Might generate a bit more car traffic on the roads in and out of Strath Creek but good on them for giving it a shot. That'll definitely be a lunch destination :)

Moyston

Getting the hang of this.
Pete, I must have been near you. I went out yesterday , up to wollert and whittlesea and in and around kinglake national park . did a track on TAUT, and went down a road which was ok, then to late, turned out to be very steep and had to go, and got to the bottom , with this, and then looked at the other side and thought...ummmm no, not on my own,:wot: but bridge was out and had a good stream to go through...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
... and went down a road which was ok, then to late, turned out to be very steep and had to go, and got to the bottom , with this, and then looked at the other side and thought...ummmm no, not on my own,:wot: but bridge was out and had a good stream to go through...

:so Goodonya for making it out again...certainly looks bloody steep.

The reason I like to have someone else around on those "explorations".
While I principally like the idea of the GPS-based rides someone posts up and hands out, there's
no general "grading" or structure to it.
What's labelled an "easy-peasy" by one (under great conditions, maybe), can
get someone else into a bad pickle, considering different conditions on the day, skill-level, machinery and equipment etc.

To be honest, I reckon TAUT is a dismal, pisspoor affair, very disorganized and gung-ho, unstructured and entirely inconsistent.
They even failed on the original intention and their own name.
They should've had a loooong, hard look at Josh's efforts over in NZ before they started, or any of the US BCR-sites (Back Country Routes).... but nobody really wanted to do any homework.

Josh and his Remotemoto are a shining example of how things should be done...right.
Easy to handle and navigate, loads of descriptions and pics as well as detailed info on each track and things along the way. Fabulous stuff, made with brains, extremely well designed and packaged without being plasticky-slick.
The brains go further by either charging a few bux for the detailed info and gps-file download (general stuff, map and pics are public + free)....or it's free if one becomes an active, regular contributor to the site by either supplying routes and/ or ride reports and/ or other content. Which has actually created a fantastic group of folks who are just second-to-none when it comes to knowledge about their place. All routes are graded to a uniform standard which I found to be pretty accurate in real life.
http://www.remotemoto.com/

Josh also runs a thread in ADV...and jeez, has this guy gotten around the South Island or what??
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/remotemoto-com-the-new-zealand-diaries.992319/

Top Bottom