Around Australia with 8yo son

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Nullabor roadhouse. Petrol price was $$$$$$!!!

Day 5. The long run, 1200k Ceduna to Norseman. We headed off at sunrise. First stop was Yatala but the bowsers were all padlocked, and there were people wandering around, some asleep beside the driveway. It was only another 100k to the Nullabor roadhouse, so I kept going. The weather was glorious. Blue sky with the occasional wispy cloud, but cold, in fact freezing. I had the handlegrip heaters on so my hands felt warm, but without gloves the palms of my hands felt warm while the back of my hands were freezing. By Cocklebiddy I realised it was frostbite. Back on with the gloves, but in the following days the skin came off. So far most of the landscape had been desert but I was conscious of scrub further on and the risk of kangaroos jumping into our path at sunset. We were on target to reach Norseman today, but I ramped the speed up to try and get us there before sunset. The bike was just purring along and it seemed to prefer the higher speed, and the music was great. Just as we got to the end of Stairway to Heaven I noticed flashing lights far away on the horizon. I immediately dropped back to the speed limit and after a while I could see a yellow highway patrol car parked across both lanes. Yep, he was waiting for me. He got me on the radar from 5k away! My excuse of being at the end of Stairway to Heaven didn't cut it. I got a stern talking too and an on the spot fine, provided I promised to check in at Belladonia which I greatfully agreed to. We hooked up with the Vietnam Veterans motorcycle club at the Belladonia roadhouse. They were doing a run from Perth to Alice/Darwin/Broome and back to Perth. It was fun listening to their stories, then we drifted off to sleep early. It's been a long day. We almost made it!

nev

Super Térrarist
The bike was just purring along and it seemed to prefer the higher speed, and the music was great. Just as we got to the end of Stairway to Heaven I noticed flashing lights far away on the horizon. I immediately dropped back to the speed limit and after a while I could see a yellow highway patrol car parked across both lanes. Yep, he was waiting for me. He got me on the radar from 5k away!

Yeah you have to watch out for them out there. I got done in my car at the Balladonia end of the 90 mile straight about 20 years ago. He was heading towards me and had my speed clocked on the radar and his lights flashing before I even saw his car emerge from the heat haze.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
That kid is awesome!!
I would've been a PITA and made you quit after half the distance.
Did he ever fall asleep on the rear perch, like my daughter used to?

Great yarn :clap:

John_Johnny

Long Timer
robbieb said:
*Re: Around Australia with 8yo son
That's some pretty early adoption of the selfie stick there!
Lucky kids you've got, the girls not so interested?

That photo was in the Kimberly Robbie. We were riding past the Bungle Bungles and we caught up to this young bloke with his chick on the back. I yelled out g'day and passed him my little camera as we were riding. He took the pic and passed it back. You can just see his huge khaki swag in the bottom right of the photo.

That kid is awesome!!
I would've been a PITA and made you quit after half the distance.
Did he ever fall asleep on the rear perch, like my daughter used to?

Great yarn :clap:

No Pete. Trevor stayed awake (and chatting on the home made intercom), but you just reminded me....
I became quite concerned about the bike's handling. It felt very light in the front end and by Perth it had become so bad I took it into the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong but it persisted. Near Geraldton it dawned on me. Trevor had become so comfortable he was leaning back against tent and his weight was so far behind the rear axle that the front end was way too light. I explained that he had to lean forward and it was fine for the rest of our big adventure.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

After our enforced stay at Belladonia, we had a 376k ride to Kalgoorlie. We stopped outside this pub and asked someone to take the pic. I went into a few pubs but they all had girls with no clothes pouring the beers so I thought we better have lunch outside the bakery. Trevor did get a bit of an eyeful though. Kalgoorlie is like the wild west, and I didn't feel comfortable pitching the tent here so we booked into a nice new looking backpackers in Hay St. After locking the bike up in the shed, we headed off down Hay St for a look around. Boy oh boy!!! I had no idea this existed. Rows of brothels behind corrugated iron fences with hookers spruiking their wares and talents. We booked a tour of the Super Pit and saw a gold ingot being poured. I ducked into the courthouse and paid the speeding fine. Our room at the backpackers was nice and had a single bed and a double bunk. Just as we were about to turn the light off, in walked a 20yr old chick. The lodge was full and so we had to share. Trevor got the top bunk and I got the bottom bunk and the chick had the single bed. Nothing happened, I swear. My wife reads this forum. Next stop will be Perth.

Last edited:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
.... I went into a few pubs but they all had girls with no clothes pouring the beers so I thought we better have lunch outside the bakery. Trevor did get a bit of an eyeful though ......

Steep learning curve for Trevor.

.... down Hay St for a look around.

Is that what you call it?

..... hookers spruiking their wares and talents .....

Is that what you call it?

..... in walked a 20yr old chick. The lodge was full and so we had to share. Trevor got the top bunk and I got the bottom bunk and the chick had the single bed. Nothing happened, I swear. .

We want Trevor's version of events.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Can't find any pics of Perth, but I did find some of the cassetes that I had in my jacket. :)
Who remembers what the pencil was used for?

We found an apartment in Perth CBD with secure parking. The plan was to use the tent, but Kalgoorlie to Perth took all day and I tend not to plan ahead or book accom, so it was getting late and we took the first accommodation sign I saw in the city. Besides, my back is killing me. We rode down to Freemantle and I saw a physiotherapist who suggested altering the seat height each day....and continue with the asprin dissolved in a can of Diet Coke when required. :D Next stop Geraldton. I'm about to discover that the West coast isn't the same as the East coast. I'm expecting tourist beach towns and theme parks.

Top Bottom