Perfect in the Flinders

senfiddy

Tour Pro
A mate Jason and I decided to take advantage of the promised perfect 18-20 degree sunny weather in the Flinders last weekend. :thumbs:

We trailered our bikes to camp at Angorichina on Friday, set up and then went for a look at the scenery.
This is my tent and view.:)

We wandered about and snapped a few shots before loading the car with wood for a camp fire.

Day 2
I had planned a route of about 170k using PARs (Public Access Routes) and visiting a few touristy spots with a lunch break in Blinman. Some pretty rough tracks but would be perfectly manageable on a big ADV bike. :so

eDSCN0085.jpg

Nucaleena Mine

Keep your wits about you. Tyre shredders lurking in the shadows..

Hannigan's Gap

Back to camp around 5 and throw a match at a pile of wood. A great day on not too taxing 4WD roads.

The next couple of days were riding at Warraweena and Sky Trek. Pretty hard core riding for an old cripple like me and not exactly touring...:rolleyes:

But if you want a look at what we got up to, here's a link:
http://ridingsa.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=27&func=view&id=168200&catid=15
Lots more scenery pics. :D

Less than 300ks spread over three days and I was knackered!! :doh:

Last edited:

Chally

Tour Pro
Yep it works now. The photos are great and it was good to see some of that country. It did look like it would rattle the old bones a bit.:lol:

Thanks

Jeff

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Nice spot & pics.

I must take Mrs W there some time. She wants to go on the motorcycle, but I'm not sure if the Mighty CB (or is it me?) could handle some of those roads.

I don't mind a bit of gravel, but your pics make some of it (tyre shredding roads?) look pretty risky. Surely there are better roads, for the CB and trailer, so as we can still see most of the main attractions in the Flinders Ranges?

senfiddy

Tour Pro
Surely there are better roads, for the CB and trailer, so as we can still see most of the main attractions in the Flinders Ranges?

Absolutely. Bitumen all the way to Blinman and it's freshly laid (still shows as gravel on Google Street View) and is a great biking road.

Blinman has a bit of history but the reason I mention it is because it's at the end of a great road. :so

Blinman -Parachilna is gravel and subject to water damage due to crossing the creek about 5 times. You probably don't want to go there anyway. :whistle:

Blinman - Arkaroola is gravel and maintained pretty well. You can jump in the back of a 4WD and tour around the good bits.

You should visit Wilpena Pound (maybe a good place to stay). Plenty of good bush walking around there. Probably the most famous spot up there.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Absolutely. Bitumen all the way to Blinman and it's freshly laid (still shows as gravel on Google Street View) and is a great biking road.

Blinman has a bit of history but the reason I mention it is because it's at the end of a great road. :so

Blinman -Parachilna is gravel and subject to water damage due to crossing the creek about 5 times. You probably don't want to go there anyway. :whistle:

Blinman - Arkaroola is gravel and maintained pretty well. You can jump in the back of a 4WD and tour around the good bits.

You should visit Wilpena Pound (maybe a good place to stay). Plenty of good bush walking around there. Probably the most famous spot up there.

Sounds good. Good enough to start planning a new trip for Christmas - New Year. Here's a start:

Anyone else interested in a "B" trip? Bendigo, Birchip, Burra, Blinman, Birdwood, Balmoral - and, I'm sure I missed a few.

senfiddy

Tour Pro
I hope you like it HOT! Summer is not the best time to visit.
I'm going to suggest a small re-route to let you experience the Clare Valley, (might be worth an overnight stop) Horrocks Pass and Pichi Richi Pass. If you're in the area....

Cheers,
Graeme

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
Great Pics. :clap:
I presume you were on the mighty DRZ? Wonder how I would go with the motard wheels on mine in that stuff, been very surprised on how capable it is with the distanzias.
Cheers brian

senfiddy

Tour Pro
Great Pics. :clap:
I presume you were on the mighty DRZ? Wonder how I would go with the motard wheels on mine in that stuff, been very surprised on how capable it is with the distanzias.
Cheers brian

Thanks.

Yep, the DRZ is the go. :D

On The PARs (first day) I'm sure you'd be fine on Distanzias, but I'd be worried about punctures on those rocky roads of days 2 and 3. I had Mitas Stonekings (and heavy duty tubes) and compared to Jason' tyres they looked hardly used. Jason lost a few knobs.

Cheers,
Graeme

Top Bottom