Jumbuk and upper middle creek roads

a86

Getting the hang of it
More of a recce than a ride, out looking for a route between Jumbuk and Upper Middle Creek roads and to check out a cuppla oddities spotted on google maps.

P1010234.jpg

Went along old Darlimurla and School roads to avoid some slabbing on the Strz highway. (the count having come from one of the parts of europe that was ruthlessly mined for vowels by the roman empire)

P1010235.jpg

A particularly nice pond by the highway

P1010236.jpg

Cows hiding in the long grass near Yinnar

P1010237.jpg

Jumbuk road in Morwell national park

P1010238.jpg

Jumbuk road further along.
P1010239.jpg

First oddity. It is extremely rare to find anything intact out here, ex-habitations are usualy marked only by a few exotic trees and nothing else.

P1010240.jpg

Amazing that the area used to support a school!

P1010242.jpg

The renovations are not going well

P1010245.jpg

Vaggs road, which I hope will get me to UMC road

Capture.jpg

I was hoping to spot what this oddity is but although I passed within a cuppla hundred metres it was up a near vertical hill.

P1010247.jpg

The strom would not have got under that tree.

P1010248.jpg

A bit further on it is joined by a better track, which indicates that I should not have taken a left at albequerqe

P1010253.jpg

After a few bogholes upper middle creek is reached. I had hoped that the tree would have been removed, as I had spotted it on a previous recce. The orange roughies have been going over it, a feat I was not going to attempt. They had also made a steep track to the right up to the road. I thought that the last bit was way to steep but by standing on the pegs and giving it plenty of berries I was soon at UMC road. This route would be achievable on a strom with k60s and a fit, skilled rider who was not quite right in the head.

P1010255.jpg

Quite a deep ford, but the liberal use of the berries was again successful.

P1010257.jpg

Upon returning to Mirboo North I find that it has become infested with several thousand lycra clad maniacs. Their tents covered both footie grounds and part of the golf course.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hi mate....just remembered this.

Looking at those pics....UMC is sort of blocked by that tree there.
From the looks of it (and the direction you travelled), you had the creek crossing first, then the rough bit around/ over that tree.

Do you reckon it'd be possible to drag the tree out of the way with about a half-dozen pair of hands putting some beef behind it??

Like the looks of that Vaggs Rd. too...
Time to knock up a rack for the Stihl, methinks :thumbs:

Tried the Jeeralang West Rd.? Looks like a nice return for the UMC, with a short connector onto the Grand Ridge.

I can feel another South-Gippy ride coming up...soon!

a86

Getting the hang of it
The tree is not blocking UMC road, that is still the track.
how about: from Boolara south, Livingston road to Morwell river road, then back up to Livingston road on a track with those berm/boghole things from a dozer dipping its blade at intervals. I then have a route to get to Budgeree road via Campbells road with a crossing of the morwell river east branch. I then have a route that gets from Budgeree road to Upper Middle Creek road. Then to Jumbuk road via Yinnar South. Jumbuk road gets you to Jeeralang west road, then to Traralgon creek road. Then back on the bitumen via Loy Yang.

TimC

Tour Pro
P1010257.jpg

Upon returning to Mirboo North I find that it has become infested with several thousand lycra clad maniacs. Their tents covered both footie grounds and part of the golf course.

That can't be the GVBR. The queue to the blue loos is only 3 people long in that photo.

The brewery was a welcome venue that night. $18 jugs with twice as much beer as a usual jug. My fellow riders were cursing me for grabbing a jug of the stout at the end of the night. "Don't you know we have to ride 108km into a headwind tomorrow, and now you're forcing us to drink this!"

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
how about: from Boolara south, Livingston road to Morwell river road, then back up to Livingston road on a track with those berm/boghole things from a dozer dipping its blade at intervals. I then have a route to get to Budgeree road via Campbells road with a crossing of the morwell river east branch. I then have a route that gets from Budgeree road to Upper Middle Creek road. Then to Jumbuk road via Yinnar South. Jumbuk road gets you to Jeeralang west road, then to Traralgon creek road. Then back on the bitumen via Loy Yang.

If you reckon, all that's fine and rideable, let's put it on the burner.
Wouldn't mind making it an overnighter, just for a bit more time to run into a few dead-ends...and some photos.

Top Bottom