Christmas Trip

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
Seeing as I wanted to stop at the QANTAS museum at Longreach, I decided on a short day of 6 hundred odd ks with a stop at Winton. This gave me plenty of oportunities to take some holiday snaps and just downloaded 99 of them so i will go thru them and may post some up later if this crappy connection holds.
Have to say that I thought today was Hitchcock day today due to the birds trying to suicide with me. :???: may have to take the birdman title from Christo. :bs
More later.
Cheers Brian

penguineer

just luscious
600kms is a short day ? Jaysuz.

On those roads, it is a very short day.

Lots of space between towns, straight lines and when I was out there some years ago the roads were in reasonable nick too......(may have changed with increased mining traffic and recent floods).

Biggest issue is just staying hydrated - looks like Brian has been making lots of stops so plenty of opportunities to keep his fluids up.

Also don't forget that the current "day" is about 13 hours of sunlight, so 600km in that time means a moving average of less than 50kph - and people have managed that on postie bikes....

Distance means different things out there.....

Cheers!

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Biggest issue is just staying hydrated - looks like Brian has been making lots of stops so plenty of opportunities to keep his fluids up.

A couple of hours after a group of us arrived at Uluru (Yulara) after cycling from Melbourne, in 2009, this Austrian guy pulled into the campground on an Africa Twin. He was riding overland, alone, from his home country as part of an ATW trip. He'd just ridden from the Kimberley via The Olgas, and at some point during the morning had lost a pannier/box/container which had almost all his water (& most of his tools). He'd done about 8 hours on a half-full water bottle which wasn't in that pannier. It had been well over 40deg that day, and he was not in a good state when he pulled in.

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
made it to the territory, spending the night at Barkly Homestead. more later.
cheers brian

Top Bottom