Winging it through the hills..

-Macca-

Getting the hang of it
So I went out for a ride today. Apologies for the picture quality - only had my phone with me (even forgot the GPS logger!).

Couldn't scrape up anyone to come with me, so I winged it as I went along. Was originally thinking of the route I posted the other day, then thought about Dargo -> Hotham (the thought of the transit to Dargo turned me off that one), and finally ended up doing something sorta in the middle:

http://goo.gl/maps/836tF

Left in in-laws in Safety Beach just after dawn, and headed out to Kooweerup and the Longwarry for a fuel stop and coffee (x 2). Rode out through Robin Hood to Neerim and then Noojee. Keeping a very wary eye out for campers heading away for the weekend, I went up the hill through Toorongo and onto The Triangle. Finally settled into some sort of rhythm about 2/3 of the way from Noojee to The Triangle.

Did the 6 km's of bitumen at The Triangle, and back to dirt for the run to Matlock. Of course, it was raining at Matlock (isn't it always?). Down the hill to Woods Point, and then up to Frenchmans Gap on the way out towards Kevington/Mansfield:

Dodged a few campers heading out to campsites along the Mansfield-Woods Point Road. Coming out of Kevington, I saw the sign for Poletti Tk, and on the spot decided to ride up the hill to Mt Terrible. It got a bit sketchy a couple of times on the way up (the KLR isn't as easy to manhandle around as a real chook chaser!), but I found the hardest bits were the descents - I just couldn't get a feel for the rear brake and found myself with it locked up more often than not (as a side note - the KLR could do with a lower 1st gear!).

On the bright side, I made it up unscathed:

Turned around, back down the hill to the road, and then into Mansfield for something to eat (& more coffee). Out of all the random thoughts that were floating around in my head, "Craigs Hut" jumped out at me. Well, that decision had been made. Off we go.

Rode out to Mt Stirling, thinking to myself the whole way "For somewhere that is so well known, there's bugger all signage to indicate I'm going the right way!". Got to TBJ (Telephone Box Junction) were a sign indicated I needed to veer left and follow it for 20 odd KM to get to Craigs Hut. Dodged a couple more 4x4's heading out along Circuit Road (at least they were on their own side of the road), until I got to Clear Creek Track.

There was a 4wdVic sign at Clear Creek Track indicating that it was "Medium Difficulty". "What the worst that could happen?" :wink: It was actually a lot easier than I expected. I'd be happy to take the Missus' X-Trail (or a CT110) up there. Parked in the car-park and took the obligatory photo:

Didn't hang around at Craigs Hut as there were a few people there, and today was my "Alone in my helmet" day. Looked at the other end of Clear Creek Track, but it was marked as "Difficult" I decided discretion was the better park of valour as I was by myself (and didn't want to have to muscle a KLR off me if I did screw something up), so went back out to Circuit Road the way I'd come in. I turned right onto Circuit Rd instead of left (the way I'd come in) and went exploring.

A few k's down the road, I came across Bindaree Rd. Something pinged to life in my brain about Bindaree Falls, and I though "I wonder if...". So, down Bindaree Rd until I came to a sign indicating I'd arrived a Bindaree Falls. Unfortunately, the sign also indicated that it was a 15m hike in to get to the falls. :mad: I bought a bike so I wouldn't have to walk! Anyhoo, it was about 3000% humidity and still hot, so I sweated my arse off hiking up the steps to the falls. I've gotta admit though, I think it was worth it:

Rode back out towards TBJ, watching the big black clouds, and hearing thunder (which over the KLR and earplugs meant it was pretty damn loud). Rode in under cover at TBJ just as the heavens opened with hail. :shock: Hung around there for a while, and then slabbed it home.

Notes for me: Check tyre pressures when trail riding, go and have another look at helmets (bugs on the cheeks hurt), Corn Hill Track is double diamond.

Top Bottom