'Twas the day before the day before the night before

and nobody else was home I wasn’t working the weather looked good and the forecast for the Christmas – New Year week was yuck. What better to do than go for a ride.

Simple plan. Clockwise loop about 500 km over two days with plenty of time for photo stops slow guy riding.

So.

Every summer ride starts in the fog

But by the time I left it was all gone.

I can’t help feeling insignificant at time riding amongst the Australia flora.

the compulsory Grantons Road picture, this time heading north

the “I can’t be bothered walking that far” photo of Keppels Falls

Taggerty Cascades

and up at the top of Lady Talbot Drive the views were great as usual

Heading down Mt Margaret Road. If anybody has a hankering to ride NZ gravel, try the top section of Mt Margaret Road. 50kph heading down hill with both wheels moving at least one tyre width side to side and not always in unison. Reminded me of old times…

Over the back of the Cathedral Ranges and down Cerberus Road

so the plan was to get to Cathedral Lane hang a right and head towards Rubicon

That lasted about 6 km until I got to the part where no side stand was required.

One thing I have learnt in the last nearly 60 years is when it is time to turn around.

A quick trip to my new favorite Victorian waterfall. Snobs Creek Falls.

Fence? What fence?

Don’t like the newly sealed section on the Eildon – Jamieson Road. It’s the stuff that melts and lifts in the heat.

So it was on to Kevington for the night

but the camp ground next to the pub was a touch crowded IMO.

This morning when I left there was no sign of life in the Pub

Checking out the tunnel at Tunnel Bend

and the Gaffneys Creek cemetery

I’m trying to get my head around John Paton being 71 and fighting as a Private in the US army in the Mexican War.

A local art installation near the A1 Mine Settlement

Sounds familiar

Everybody has to have one

Through Matlock

with a side trip to the Fire tower

McAdams Gap. Half way to the top of Australia.

Past some nice environmentally friendly logging

To Cambraville then down the Spur

With a side trip up Cement Creek Road across the Yarra to the Redwood forest

and home before Santa did his rounds with the CFA.

nev

Super Térrarist
I think you're confusing the Spanish-American war with the American-Mexican war.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
so the plan was to get to Cathedral Lane hang a right and head towards Rubicon

That lasted about 6 km until I got to the part where no side stand was required.

:thumbs:

Yo, past that last farmgate on the right on Cathedral Lane, looking for Bulls Lane....to tack north onto the main rd....or try Gravel Pit Rd. to link with Blue Range. There's just no way through. The small timber bridge across a creek rotted away yonks ago, since then only the farmer on his tractor use the track. We turned around there, too.

Seen Gravel Pitt Rd. entry from the Blue Range and quit at the thought of getting a Strom down there. :doh: Steeeep!

One of those days I'd love to get into Bulls Lane from the north and have a poke around Gravel Pit or Chitty Ridge Track onto Blue Range.

Excellent pics, a joy to look at!:chug:

Crustyvarmint

Back road wanderer
Excellent ride, and pics, Richard.
I see the Mt Terrible hut has been rebuilt and officially opened to the public yesterday. I think time for another visit.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Great stuff :clap: .

The inter-web is full of interesting info about Company H, 2nd Dragoons. Oldest cavalry regiment in the US Army, apparently.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
LOve that one

31838521685_4af67fd2c1_c.jpg

Top Bottom