Yarra Nongs...

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Another good days ride while it lasted :D.

Nice start
P6300001.jpg

Views from the tower
P6300003.jpg

P6300004.jpg

Inside
P6300005.jpg

Suger loaf
P6300009.jpg

P6300010.jpg

P6300011.jpg

Looking east from Bald Spur, wonder where that goes
P6300013.jpg

Might have to go back for a look.

From the description of the descent of the hill I'm glad I bailed on that. Tha ABS won't work on really loose downhill stuff like that, result no brakes and usually a face plant. Yes I have found that out the hard/embarrassinng way :whistle:.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Looking east from Bald Spur, wonder where that goes:.

There's nothing much to the east of the Bald Spur, bar Ninks Rd, which runs along the valley floor....which makes the one along the hillside, through the trees, the St.Andrews-Kinglake Rd (Hurstbridge Rd. or whatever you wanna call it).

Might have to go back for a look.

From the description of the descent of the hill I'm glad I bailed on that. Tha ABS won't work on really loose downhill stuff like that, result no brakes and usually a face plant. Yes I have found that out the hard/embarrassinng way :whistle:.

If it's on a weekend, let me know.

One of those days we'll pop a switch into your ABS circuitry to take care of that problem. A little handlebar-mounted on/off would be neat?
Might have one floating around...

TimC

Tour Pro

You need a BMWibbleyou where you can turn off all the smarts. There were a few moments there where I saw the slide marks of others (Glitch must have got his bike up quick, or I was fartarsing about with my camera for too long. Either or) and wondered where the hell to go myself to avoid their fate. Turns out with full lockup you can't do much but go along for the ride. I don't know how I kept it upright in the clay slippery downhill section.

I should have learnt my lesson last time following glitch up a near vertical rocky hill (technically, I didn't follow him this time).:endu

nev

Super Térrarist
Tha ABS won't work on really loose downhill stuff like that, result no brakes and usually a face plant. Yes I have found that out the hard/embarrassinng way :whistle:.

A common misconception is that ABS gives you more brakes, where in reality it gives you less brakes. ABS works fine on loose gravelly downhill stuff. Brilliantly in fact! :p

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
A common misconception is that ABS gives you more brakes, where in reality it gives you less brakes. ABS works fine on loose gravelly downhill stuff. Brilliantly in fact! :p

Gravelly yes, muddy-slippery no. As long as there's some semblance of grip/ bite, it's ok.
Once you have or need the 2 wheels at different rotational speeds, you're cooked. Make it switchable and have the best of both worlds.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Brakes we don't need no stinkin brakes after all, they only slow you down!

I got myself into a little trouble by following Derek too closely and had to stop part way down. From there, I didn't have the chance to stand up before the rear wheel had locked.

Most difficult thing when both wheels had locked going down the hill, was forcing myself to let both brakes off...and then, the bike took off at a frightening rate.

Still, longer legs and bigger feet than some meant the Mighty Scrambler stayed upright...:)

Top Bottom