AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 23-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Hobbits And Bobbits...NZ'12-The North

8 days of tears-in-your-eyes scenery and back roads that make the heart sing...8 days of wonder and stunning countryside that ONLY NZ can strut.

8 days....
....to put another 'good 'un in the bag, one of those that are the spice of life and in the end become life itself...

This time around it's the North...and Bernard (platypus) is there for the start....Hans (asphalt) is coming halfway around the globe from Vienna/ Austria for the 8 days of absolute riding bliss. Derek (Crusty) is along,...and the Tim-Twins-goodness of Sir Francis and TimC.

Throw Goodie into the mix and there's a bunch happily mutilating their arse-cheeks on a gaggle of DR650 seats for the sake of riding some of the best back-country lanes the North Island has to offer. Gobble some awesome local brew, knock the top off some noice Pinot Noir.... talk-shit and laugh their heads off 'til it hurts, slide and bop through the gravel berms... stay in some decidedly questionable digs and wonder about some 150year old pubs, getting a side-car ride in an Enfield to pick up the pizza...before adding a prime-quality shiner, fat lip and bruises all over.
Fugg me sideways...it sure wasn't boring....no, Sirr!!

Oh maaan (groan)...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: Hobbits And Bobbits...NZ'12-The North

To be continued... (sorting pics atm)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Williamson
Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
To be continued... (sorting pics atm)
Keep ya pics and bullshyte stories to yourselves. It's not that I / we are envious or anything, it's that we are so tired from enjoying ourselves riding unbelievable roads and tracks around Kinglake and Yea.

Well, I'm tired and I've gotta get some beauty sleep, and I've gotta keep fresh for a hard day tomorrow swapping ideas about lower speed timits, road humps and roundabout designs and other goodies with some friends from Yarra Ranges Shire.
Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamson View Post
... I've gotta keep fresh for a hard day tomorrow swapping ideas about lower speed timits, road humps and roundabout designs and other goodies with some friends from Yarra Ranges Shire.

Thought I'd stick to the old "keeping it civil" for the thread opener...but since you're insisting

One of the top-ranking attractions in NZ just have to be the roads themselves, and those of the North Island in particular.
Just imagine...the top20 Tassie-roads laid end-to-end, sprinkled liberally by a dozen Reefton Spurs or such...without as much as the white posts alongside!!! Over and over and over.....

No bloody roundabouts, no forest of signs... only clear views EVERYWHERE...no Armco, single or double-stacker...no cheesecutters, no roadmarkings, NO BLOODY CONTINUOUS WHITE LINES, NO DOUBLE-LINES!!!....just simply none of this endless Nanny-crap.
And since there's none of this, it also doesn't take the hordes of revenue-collectors to enforce all that "personal safety" bullshyte.

Overtake where you want and deem safe, through corners and all...just stick to the 100kmh limit (which, more often than not is pretty much pie-in-the-sky anyway on those roads) and if you get things wrong there's a decent chance of it having been the last time...the extreme terrain in many places and dense growth right up to the verge of the road make sure of that. Fugg up and you're compost.
Keeps 'em honest and inline...naturally and without an additional line, sign or other measure. Simple.

All that creates a pretty carefull and fairly "slow" average driver (by natural selection, I guess)....which leaves just that small extra space for a bike to not just enjoy all that's there, to the fullest , but also allows for a decent crack at passing cars and trucks quickly and safely, rather than the Aussie-style "dodge-a-camera" drag-style overtaking of 101kmh versus 102.5kmh taking 5 kilometers of road for a passing move.

Then again....guess it ain't exactly traffic-planners paradise over there
Old 13-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
K1W1
Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamson View Post
I've gotta keep fresh for a hard day tomorrow swapping ideas about lower speed timits, road humps and roundabout designs and other goodies with some friends from Yarra Ranges Shire.

Just don't suggest that they pave more roads. We are loosing the dirt roads at a huge rate soon I'm going to have to go to the UN or somebody and complain that my social heritage is being crushed under asphalt. I might claim endangered species rights.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote