AusTouring.com  


Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes Language
Old 16-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #51
AceRider
Wee Strom 650 ABS
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 93
Default Re: Groaaaann....NOT AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy View Post
meh i call b/s on getting something 100% perfect for road riding, the only time imo you need to really start dialing stuff in is at the track (when it's not right you know about it), sure things get slightly tricky and harder when you start corner at over 100km+ on the road (which is illegal anyway) but to be honest and from my experienced i reckon there would only be a small % that would see gain from the $$$$ of dollars they throw at suspension
yes agree and understood that - i use 100% as generalised phrase - that's why i say "whatever that means" - my definition of "perfect" for vstrom is being able to absorb the bumps and potholes well over the roads i often ride and yet, firm enough for me to really throw it around S bends.

I definitely can feel every change i made on the road on my ELKA shock or intiminator. - once u ride a piece of road often enough and knows precisely how every bump/pothole/corner feels.

Once u get the basic suspension components right - a lot of time (as opposed to more $$$) can be spent to dialling it to your preference - i see that as one of joy of motorcycling. i would agree that no point getting high $$$ component if u r not willing to spend time to customising it (even if u r just a road rider) - but sometimes it can be a frustrating exercise.

that was what pete was saying - i am still spend time changing my setting when it is pretty much there.
__________________
I am in love with my strom and my wife is allowed to join in - awesome threesome
AceRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #52
GrahamD
Strom Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Blue Mountains
Posts: 677
Default Re: Groaaaann....NOT AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. Obviously someone had a banged up Strom lying around and got inspired by something like this..



But maybe what you can't see is the the big block V8 in the back seat

Cheers
Graham
__________________
2010 S10.
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #53
tim
RIP Marco # 58
 
tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SE suburbs, Vic
Posts: 313
Default Re: Groaaaann....NOT AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy View Post
but to be honest and from my experienced i reckon there would only be a small % that would see gain from the $$$$ of dollars they throw at suspension
Sorry Stewie but I disagree with above.. When I had Promecha do the work on my K1 1000, the difference was huge. I found that it gave me much more feedback and especially in the wet I could feel exactly what the tyres were doing and had a lot more confidence in the front end mainly.

But then I'm a fat bastard and bikes (that I ride) are not designed to carry my weight so even a change in springs is very noticable.

I've also had the DR done but haven't had a chance to ride it much. Again it was needed due to a 38l tank and my weight. Before hand it would bottom out the forks under braking. Just about everyone would notice the difference in this case.

If you rode my K1 before and after, you would be amazed too. At the time it was the best money I'd spent on that bike.

Anyway back on topic - Pete,, I'm sure you'll come up with some more innovative ideas and I'm personally looking forward to watching this build as it progesses as I have with every other bike you've touched. Good luck with it.
__________________
tim

03 Honda CT110 black / 04 Honda CBR1000RR
01 Suzuki GSXR-1000 black / 08 Suzuki GSXR-1000 Black and Gold (RIP 24/12/2010)
07 Suzuki DR650 blue
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #54
AceRider
Wee Strom 650 ABS
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 93
Default Re: Groaaaann....NOT AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. Obviously someone had a banged up Strom lying around and got inspired by something like this..

actually make sense - the car's high frontal area means it would lift off at any speed over 100k/hr - the big wings keeps it down - my heads off the owner for coming up with that one

- and i am sure everyone would look at her/him - usually you have to pay over $200,000 for a car to get that sort of attention - the ower is smart!

__________________
I am in love with my strom and my wife is allowed to join in - awesome threesome
AceRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #55
stewy
Still young and stupid
 
stewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rowville, VIC
Posts: 578
Default Re: Groaaaann....NOT AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Sorry Stewie but I disagree with above.. When I had Promecha do the work on my K1 1000, the difference was huge. I found that it gave me much more feedback and especially in the wet I could feel exactly what the tyres were doing and had a lot more confidence in the front end mainly.

But then I'm a fat bastard and bikes (that I ride) are not designed to carry my weight so even a change in springs is very noticable.

I've also had the DR done but haven't had a chance to ride it much. Again it was needed due to a 38l tank and my weight. Before hand it would bottom out the forks under braking. Just about everyone would notice the difference in this case.

If you rode my K1 before and after, you would be amazed too. At the time it was the best money I'd spent on that bike.

Anyway back on topic - Pete,, I'm sure you'll come up with some more innovative ideas and I'm personally looking forward to watching this build as it progesses as I have with every other bike you've touched. Good luck with it.

i have ridden with you tim, i can see how you would notice improvements, i just see a lot of ppl spending up big on suspension when they couldn't ride their way out of a wet paper bag and for my thinking i reckon too many ppl put their attention onto the bike rather then the rider.....once you have been passed but some old clunkers you realise that the bike/suspension etc mean sfa, and the go fast part is located between the seat and handlebars
__________________
Cheers Adam
stewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:53 PM.


All information contained on this site is © 2007-2008 to Austouring.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.