Thumper Tuesday

nev

Super Térrarist
It was grey this morning, but didn't look too threatening,... so I geared up and headed out. First stop was the bike shop. After the weekend away in Gippsland I discovered last night that two of the 4 axle pinch bolts had rattled loose. Last weekend was the first time the bike had been out since it had new tyres fitted. I suspect that the spannerman who put the wheel back on the bike nipped up one bolt tight on each side, and then put in the two remaining bolts and nipped them up, but didn't give the first two a bit more tension afterwards.

I headed out through Somerton, and Mickleham. Spotted this 4WD bogged on a side track. Rear axle looked to be grounded with the wheels in deep ruts. Looks like he had tried to winch himself out unsuccessfully. Noone about so I kept moving...

IMG_20140916_101208.jpg

A canola crop near Beveridge

IMG_20140916_101612.jpg

I headed into Mt Disappointment forest. Got off the main track onto a couple of smaller roads. The first one came to a logging operation and was closed. The second road was a bitter loop. I'd often seen the Sunday Creek reservoir on maps, but never spotted it in my rides around here. Caught a glimpse, but all access was fenced off.

IMG_20140916_111018.jpg

After that headed up Murchison Rd and onto Horans track.

IMG_20140916_115127.jpg

I got adventurous in the Tallarook State Forest and headed down some tracks to see if I could find a shortcut down to Strath Creek.

IMG_20140916_120345.jpg

The tracks varied from reasonable to WTF-am-I-doing-here. A few steep loose rocky sections which were attacked in 1st gear.

IMG_20140916_120647.jpg

Each track I tried ended in single track and so I turned around and eventually headed back out the way I had come.

IMG_20140916_121504.jpg

There's been so much talk lately of the Strath Creek Store I stopped there for lunch. Very tasty. By the time I hit kinglake west there was a very thick fog, and then light rain for most of the trip back home.

nev

Super Térrarist
When I got home, I checked the odometer and (ok I might have had to ride around the block 2 or 3 times but the planets seem to be aligned (in my garage at least)

Terra

IMG_20140916_172954.jpg

V-Strom

IMG_20140916_172922.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
When I got home, I checked the odometer and (ok I might have had to ride around the block 2 or 3 times but the planets seem to be aligned (in my garage at least)

Terra

IMG_20140916_172954.jpg

V-Strom

IMG_20140916_172922.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I got adventurous in the Tallarook State Forest and headed down some tracks to see if I could find a shortcut down to Strath Creek.

IMG_20140916_120345.jpg

The tracks varied from reasonable to WTF-am-I-doing-here. A few steep loose rocky sections which were attacked in 1st gear.

IMG_20140916_120647.jpg

That looks like No.6 Track or possibly No. 3 from that kink on Fairview, sort of running parallel to Horans?
Most of them finish up in the plantation areas on the lower slopes.
GREAT area though, lots of good views.

One that's always eluded me is Ennis Rd., one of the feeders into Fairview.

Top Bottom