Offroad school

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Looks like it was a good weekend, Peter. I really should go and do the MAIB subsidised course for the road stuff, might even drop my premium

Williamson

Part of the furniture
How do you get a TLA from a single word?

Not a TLA, an abbreviation. A necessity at WCC or CoW due the number of RBT's installed, reported on, referenced in documents, etc....

An OH&S consultant's report to our ELT (formerly CMT) suggested that we could reduce incidents of RSI by using abbreviations (Why is that such a long word? Perhaps another topic altogether), probably less paper and printer ink too.

Surely you're TTP

Mmmm ....... ? Beat me there. Even acronym finder on Google only gave me:

• Telephone Twisted Pair
  • Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (side effect of taking Plavix)
  • Trail Termination Point (end point of a logical end-to-end connection within a network layer)
  • Trunk Test Panel

Looks to me like that would be a bit hard on the old back. I've used a similar technique with back to bike to awaken the CB1300 (~260kg) from a nap. Didn't help me with the ST1300 (~330kg), but then I had a sore back at the time.

I was just impressed by the fact that BMW provide accessory cardboard for the owners to GSAs to lay under the cylinder head when they know they are about to let their bike have a nap off road. See, that is the difference, you get what you pay for and no Japanese company would be as thoughtful.

The picking up technique is the same one HART teach. I prefer the back against the seat and use your legs technique but its handy to know both as sometimes one will be of more use than the other depending on the circumstances.

This how I usually pick up my GSA anyway. :)

http://i.imgur.com/1MP81tu.mp4

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
The back against the seat method doesnt work very well on a very slippery/gravelly surface, as the wheels cant get any purchase for leverage.

I wonder if the handlebar method is any better under those conditions?

I wonder if the handlebar method is any better under those conditions?

Both methods have issues in less than ideal situations. It's just a case of finding the one that works best if you are by yourself and knowing how to lift without destroying your back. If there are others around you just have to wait till the laughter and comments stop then usually you will get assistance anyway.

TimC

Tour Pro
Both methods have issues in less than ideal situations. It's just a case of finding the one that works best if you are by yourself and knowing how to lift without destroying your back. If there are others around you just have to wait till the laughter and comments stop then usually you will get assistance anyway.

The bonus of waiting for the others to stop laughing is usually someone's remembered to take photos too. I never remember until I've righted the bike, using the adrenaline to give me superhuman strength. If I wait until I dig the camera out, the adrenaline's gone.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

I took a photo before I picked mine up. :looney:

It wasn't very heavy, or at least it didn't feel heavy. The weight is down low, it was already on a slight angle upwards as it was sitting on the rocker cover....although the back wheel was in the air so it must have been close to horizontal.

Top Bottom