Movies and a game of cards

penguineer

just luscious
Day 5 - Views, scents and crazy people in the dark

Got an early wake-up courtesy of the fishermen using the boat ramp, and couldn't get back to sleep properly before the sun started rising.

Lake - early
2013-tassie-tour-day5-lake-morning-800.jpg

Due to the hills, town and trees to the east of my campsite, I couldn't get any photos of the sunrise, so I turned around and looked at the lake and the hills to the west as the sunlight hit them - the clouds still threatening to continue the rain added to the variety of light and colour.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-morning-colours-800.jpg

Lake Jindabyne is an artificial lake created by the Snowy Mountain scheme - the old town of Jindabyne is somewhere at the bottom of the lake.

Island:
2013-tassie-tour-day5-jindabyne-island-800.jpg

Campsite again - it's been raining occasionally overnight, so the bike cover and tent will need to dry out a bit(I hope).
2013-tassie-tour-day5-morning-campsite-800.jpg

Cloud rolling in:
2013-tassie-tour-day5-cloud-returns-800.jpg

I got most of my gear packed, but hung the tent and bike cover over a fence to dry out in the breeze for a little while. While that was happening I went for a walk over to the shopping centre for an egg and bacon roll.....

The bikes I saw last night head back into town and start queueing at the servo for fuel - they've come from Sydney to do the 300km lap around the alpine roads. If they get going they might manage two laps today!
2013-tassie-tour-day5-bikes-refuelling-at-jindabyne-800.jpg

Snowy Mountain visitors centre.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-snowy-visitor-centre-800.jpg

For many people this is the first sight of Jindabyne as they get off the bus on a ski holiday - most people would only have seen it covered in snow. It's a sort of all-purpose centre - information, coffee shop, cinemas, bus station, national parks office, museum and pickup point for new arrivals.

Jindabyne is an interesting enough to walk around for a while - I gave myself until about 10am before packing up the rest of my gear and heading out. The population of Jindabyne, according to the census is around 2000 people, but there are facilities, hotels and restuarants for far more than that due to the busy ski season. The town has had a varied history - the alpine cattle properties, gold rush, the construction of the Snowy Scheme and more recently winter recreation.

At the edge of the national park is a checkpoint looking for spies. Comprehensive identity papers are required for the background checks.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-park-entrance-800.jpg

Or you could just pay for a parks pass ;) There is a fee for entering the park, but if you are just passing through without stopping or using the park facilities you can get a free pass.

Looking up at the hills above Thredbo - you can see the top of one of the chair lifts.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-thredbo-800.jpg

Thredbo village is below the road level - I didn't go into the village as it's very touristy, there's only one road in and out and there's relatively little open there during the summer. That said - at least one of the chair lifts is operating all year round. The walking track to the top of Mount Kosciosko(Australias highest mountain) is quite popular and mountain bike tracks replace ski runs when the snow disappears.

Mount Kosciosko is on the other side of the ridge and can't be seen from here.

Wombat poo - distinctive cubic shape and deposited in a prominent place to mark territory.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-wombat-poo-at-thredbo-800.jpg

This is a really nice road in summer - the yellow line markings are really distinctive. In this pic I am parked in one of the many large snow chain fitting bays alongside the road. This road doesn't see a lot of deep snow - there aren't any snow poles here. Notice the change in vegetation above the snow line.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-alpine-road-800.jpg

Further up the road is Dead Horse Gap - this area does see deep snow(snow poles mark the road edges). There's a large turning area here as caravans and motorhomes arean't supposed to go any further(although I did pass a few coming back the other way??). After this the road becomes twisty!!!
2013-tassie-tour-day5-dead-horse-gap-800.jpg

There's some steep(both ways) winding roads now - lots of beautiful eucalypts and bush flowers in bloom add their scent to the fresh mountain air.....
2013-tassie-tour-day5-flower1-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day5-flower2-800.jpg

Of course, the views add to the (pleasant) assault on the senses.

Roo near the turnoff to Tom Groggin:
2013-tassie-tour-day5-roo-at-tom-groggin-800.jpg

Road past Tom Groggin:
2013-tassie-tour-day5-beyond-tom-groggin-800.jpg

Panorama from Scammells lookout - on the opposite side of the range from Thredbo now - so Mount Kosciosko is now not visible behind the mountains to the east.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-scammells-lookout-panorama-800.jpg

Murray-1 hydro-electric power station
2013-tassie-tour-day5-murray1-power-800.jpg

The Snowy Scheme had two major purposes - diversion of water for irrigation and generation of electricity. Water is delivered from the dams and lakes by a series of tunnels and pipes, eventually going on to the Murray river. In recent years, particularly during drought, there has been a lot of argument over how much water flow the Murray needs to remain "alive".

Closer in to show the turbines in the machine hall
2013-tassie-tour-day5-murray1-detail-800.jpg

It's a hot day and I stopped at Khancoban roadhouse for a bit of a break and lunch.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-khancoban-roadhouse-800.jpg

Basic sort of roadhouse and cafe, good service and great ham, cheese, tomato toastie!

Playground in Corryong - someone went to a lot of effort to build this.
2013-tassie-tour-day5-corryong-park-800.jpg

By now it's starting to get towards the afternoon and I wanted to get to the film festival, so no more dilly dallying - just hop on the bike and chew up the distance.

Funny thing - you hear a fair bit about Victoria and speed/safety cameras as a fund raising tool, and I see my first one on this trip just as I enter Victoria, amazing.

As I head down Kiewa Valley Way I get hit by a sudden storm - I'm about to stop and take a break when it just as suddenly stops and the sun comes out again. As I scoot over Tawonga Gap and into Bright I see waterbombing helicopters and see smoke from the bushfires down the road - then by just turning my head I can see more stormclouds and lightning striking into the pine forests.

The bike got parked just beside the registration desk alongside a dozen bikes, half of which seemed to be TouraTech demonstrators.

Of course, the first people I know(from the AusTouring forum) are just finishing a brewery tour(whatever else) and we all troop off to watch "MotoSyberia 2.0 Reactivation" in the Info Centre next to the brewery.

MotoSyberia 2.0 Reactivation is about a group of Polish guys that are attempting to go further than they had managed on their earlier MotoSyberia trip to Magadan. They are completely insane. The movie is completely different to how you would expect a "normal" motorcycle travel film to be, scenery, mud, bears, mud, gigantic condoms, flooded rivers and heavy metal(proportions may vary - I think I missed some mud and flooded rivers).....

A few links and bits and pieces from the intertubes about the movie - the trailers give a bit of an idea of the mindset behind the film, the soundtrack works particularly well(in a beastly-666 way - see the movie to understand).

MotoSyberia 2.0 Reactivation:

Ride report on ADVRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239330&page=58 (about 60 pages worth, but great photography)

Trailer 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGABbXSUT8A
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGABbXSUT8A[/youtube]

Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zk8teCMNac
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zk8teCMNac[/youtube]

Brian arrived and watched the last 15 minutes, and I think even that much exposure was enough for the normal human mind......

Checked into the caravan park, had some pizza and beers at the brewery and then off to the outdoor showing of "Mazungu" in the park.

In Mazungu, Phil Harwood does the first source to sea journey down the Congo river by kayak and raft. Amazing journey and Phils' dry to-camera monologues added to a long history of barking mad English adventurers - dangers included wildlife, bandits, constant irritating demands for money and the river itself. At one point Phil hires four men to accompany him for safety - they were constantly asked "Why haven't you killed and robbed him yet?"....

Muzungu:

http://www.canoeingthecongo.com
http://www.philharwood.co.uk/

Trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DVjgRVjCp0A
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVjgRVjCp0A[/youtube]

And that's it for the day!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Day 5 - Views, scents and crazy people in the dark

And that's it for the day!

And what a day it was :wot: :clap:
Looking at those pics...there just is something to the High Country that can't be found anywhere else.
What a bewdy...thanks for sharing :scull:

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
Brian arrived and watched the last 15 minutes, and I think even that much exposure was enough for the normal human mind......
and kicked myself for missing the start...
Keep it up Sean, I am really enjoying this RR. :clap:
Cheers Brian

penguineer

just luscious
Day 6 - Movies and talks!

No riding today - it's all about the movies, or how people made movies, or the bits that aren't in the movies or....

I don't have many piccies for today and quite a lot of the time I don't have trailers, but what info I do have to back up the movies or talks is below.

Last year the film festival was centred on the brewery, with a marquee on one side and the info centre theatre on the other, this year, the brewery has expanded to twice the size and we now have movies showing at the RSL around the corner and a local church. This also means that there are twice as many movies or talks on at any given time - so you're even more messed up if you want to go see the movies that really appeal to you, two of them *will* be in the same time slot.

My advice, pick the first one that looks good or select at random - the movies on show are all good, so why not expand your horizons and make the watching of movies a mini adventure in itself?

The caravan cabin Brian, Phil and myself shared fronted onto the Ovens River, which runs through one side of the town. So the caravan park is on one side of the river and you could see the back of the brewery, the main marquee and the park near the sound shell where the outdoor movies were held on the other side of this shallow-looking slow-running river with stepping stones in it. Bright Brewery makes some extremely tasty(and in some cases, well fortified) beers. The bridge over the river is a couple of hundred metres away. What could possibly go wrong?
2013-tassie-tour-day6-bright-ovens-river-800.jpg

* Kate Leeming - Breaking the Cycle

Kate Leeming did a presentation on "Breaking the Cycle", covering a trans-African cycling trip the long way - seemingly covering as muck of the country as possible, even doubling back at points, and still managing to get to both eastern and western-most points. Aside from the epic cycling journey she covered a wide variety of aid projects across Africa and explored the reasons why some were successful and some were not.

A large component of successful projects was being able to prepare the community itself take over or maintain the project. A good example was providing communities with clean water and pumps, but when the pumps broke down there wasn't anyone left to fix or maintain them as all the funding had been placed in equipment rather than basic equipment and training of locals. Regardless of the intent or delivery of the project, if the locals aren't inolved, the project will fail.

* North Korea: A day in the life (2004)

North Korea: A Day in the Life covers the life of a family in North Korea(or Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea - DPRK). The filmmakers were guided around Pyongyang, all their footage was reviewed by state censors and the family was surely, very carefully, chosen to display the DPRK in the best light - so what you see is a wierd mirror view of the world, what the DPRK censors believe the rest of the world would see as "normal".

Apparently there were walk-outs during the American showing of this movie when the war veteran grandfather explains how the vicious, warmongering Americans had bombed his school and home leading him to fight back for his freedom. On the one hand it's a strange look at an entirely alien country with a completely different mindset, but it also begs the question "how do *we* look to others?".

* Simon and Lisa Thomas - www.2ridetheworld.com
On a lazy Sunday some ten years ago Simon and Lisa Thomas decided to go on an around the world motorbike ride - with a goal of 122 countries and all seven continents. The list of countries has changed over time as they become easier or harder to access but the goal has remained at 122 and Antarctica is proving to be a challenge.....

This talk was in some ways incredibly hard to categorise, as it ranged from amusing to terrifying anecdotes, technical setup of their bikes, details of their relationship over the last 10 years on the road, dealing with media and corrupt officials presented alongside some stunning photography and video. And that's only the first half of their trip so far, the rest of it is tomorrow!

Talking to Simon and picking his brains on bike setup after the talk
2013-tassie-tour-day6-simon-thomas-800.jpg

"Best bike for this sort of thing? Whatever you ride - you have to want to ride it again the next day....."

Lisa
2013-tassie-tour-day6-lisa-thomas-800.jpg

Lisas bike was in Canberra having some work done on it, so they only had Simons' bike to look at - I gather that after so long riding their own bikes, travelling anywhere two-up was "strange"....

There was a small adventure travel expo beside the brewery near the registration desk(a bit of a plug for the exhibitors)

Hedonistic Hiking - http://www.hedonistichiking.com.au/ - combines hiking tours with gourmet food and wine
Triumph - bikes!!!
Bogong Horseback adventures - http://www.bogonghorse.com.au/ - Horseback adventures through Victorian high country for riders of a variety of skill levels
Touratech - http://www.touratech.com.au/home/ - All sorts of bits and pieces for going places with your bike

Of course, the biggest display expo had to have been the brewery, and the RSL sausage sizzle was well attended!

Bright has pretty good market down by the river on Saturday mornings:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-bright-markets-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day6-bright-markets2-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day6-bright-markets-gails-goodies-800.jpg

(I can heartily reccommend the home-made spring rolls!)

Lets deal with the bike photos while we're walking around.

Old Kawasaki Z in front of the info centre:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-bikes1-800.jpg

Bikes in front of the expo area - some are Touratech demonstrators, mixed in with bikes that people have ridden to the film festival:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-bikes2-800.jpg

Another view:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-bikes3-800.jpg

Bikes in front of the brewery - as seen from across the road:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-bikes-and-brewery-800.jpg

The brewery has extended somewhat - last year the timber framed area was an outdoor beer garden. Small sudden rain showers were still rolling over the town.

Spent a bit of time looking at this Ural.....
2013-tassie-tour-day6-ural-800.jpg

Hmmmmm.......

* Tim Cope - In the footsteps of Ghengis Khan
Tim went over his trip on horseback from Mongolia to Hungary - I'd seen this presentation before but it's a good one - the journey is more about the people encountered than the distance covered. The trip was turned into a book and a TV series that was broadcast on the ABC.

Didn't get too much more done today - a few drinks with the folks I'd met through the austouring.com forum:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-austouring-group-800.jpg

And an impromptu demonstration of how to wear Headsox(similar to Buff).

All you need is a model:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-headsox-start-800.jpg

Some assistance on styling:
2013-tassie-tour-day6-headsox-a-bit-of-assistance-800.jpg

And you get.....
2013-tassie-tour-day6-headsox-styles-800.jpg

Dinner at Alpine Hotel - Kangaroo and black bean, very spicy!
2013-tassie-tour-day6-dinner-kangaroo-black-bean-800.jpg

* Starlight Screening - Twice Upon a Caravan(1932)
Another gem of old footage - in 1932 Robert E Fulton had just finished his studies in Europe and was planning his trip home to America. His father suggested he travel the long way around the world(rather than just cruising across the Atlantic) with his Douglas motorcycle and clockwork movie camera, taking in different cultures and studying architecture along the way. Many areas he passed through were completely unknown in the west at the time and maps were nearly non-existant.
This movie is a challenge to get out and see things for yourself and learn about the world - in places he would tell people where he was going and they would say "Don't go there, they're murderers, crooks and thieves!", fifty miles down the road, when they heard where he had come from "You're lucky to make it out alive, they're all murderers, crooks and thieves!".
Amazing journey pieced together from original footage with a modern narration. Fulton was quite an accomplished character in his lifetime!

After the inflatable screen came down the projector cast an interesting pattern on the trees....
2013-tassie-tour-day6-after-the-movie-800.jpg

And that's it for today!

penguineer

just luscious
Nice write-up, makes me sorry that I missed the get-together and the festival .....

Next time perhaps.

Wot's this?? Someone moonlighting???

:doh:

Oops - So that's what they mean by photobumming.......

I was remembering Gails spring rolls and didn't notice that....

Where this many hands available when he went for a pee?

Oh, never mind!!!

Quite - not sure I want to even thing about an answer for that......

*shudder*

Cheers!

penguineer

just luscious
Day 7 - More movies, high temperatures and tempers and boarding the ferry

My final day in Bright - Brian and Phil headed off to the movies while I finished packing the bike. I figured I couldn't get that lost getting to melbourne that I couldn't see a few more films.....

The cabin:
2013-tassie-tour-day7-bright-cabin-800.jpg

* Micro-adventures
This was quite an interesting collection of short films based around micro-adventures. The majority of micro-adventures lasted less than a day and covered such things as tandem journeys to Wales, cycle and pack-raft to the northernmost tip of the Shetlands, taking the kids on a forest camping trip behind the house or climbing a hill(that you've seen every day for last 20 years) for the first time.
You don't need to spend days, weeks or months to explore the world around you - sometimes it's enough to see where you are in a different way or from a different angle.

Some videos below from Alastair Humphreys, although others were presented at the film festival

River Swim
- A trip down a river - at water level!
http://vimeo.com/27828281

Destination: Muckle Flugga
- Travelling to Muckle Flugga, northernmost tip of the Shetland islands, using folding bicycles and pack-rafts.
http://vimeo.com/alhumphreys/destination-muckle-flugga

More about micro-adventures at http://www.microadventures.org/ and http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/microadventures-3/year-microadventure/

* Simon and Lisa Thomas - www.2ridetheworld.com
The second part of Lisa and Simon' epic journey, bringing their trip up to the present day(in Bright, Victoria, Australia). They've definitely had a few ups and downs along the way - the last major down appears to have been a bit of a bingle resulting in a pretty comprehensive rebuild of Simons' bike with the assistance of Touratech.

I'm not sure what they're gesticulating about here - provide your own caption?
2013-tassie-tour-day7-simon-and-lisa-800.jpg

They're still on the move - keep an eye out for them on your travels!

* Roadside USA
Mondo Enduro alumni Austin Vince and Clive Greenhough spend their seven week holiday, with little in the way of money, hitchiking back and forth across the USA, being very British and interviewing everyone that picks them up. This is another trip where the travel is secondary to the characters that they meet. Absolutely hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUOwmHEa6Jk
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUOwmHEa6Jk[/youtube]

And that's the end of this years film festival for me - unfortunately I had an expensive boat ride booked and had to skip the rest to the days events - a few final goodbyes and then onto the highway for a direct(ish) run to Melbourne.

There's plenty that you could say about the Hume Highway, but most of it relates to it being one of the most depressing pieces of slab I have encountered. The fact that it was a hot day didn't help much and the country side looks tinder dry.

I think this shot of a roadside rest area sums up the whole atmosphere
2013-tassie-tour-day7-desolate-roadside-800.jpg

Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnn!

While I was down this way I did a couple of side trips to "I've Been Everywhere" towns(IBEMS)

I've been to Seymour:
ibem-seymour-20130217-800.jpg

Notice the fire-danger sign behind me? Since the devastating bushfires a few years ago(Black Saturday 2009, 173 killed) there has been a major rethink about bushfire dangers. One of the visible changes is the adoption of the black/red warning level on the warning signs in rural areas, in Victoria it's called "Code Red", in Queensland it's called "Catastrophic". This new warning level essentially means that your only option for survival is evacuation.....

Seymours' well-regarded take-away!
2013-tassie-tour-day7-seymour-pie-shop-800.jpg

I've been to Kilmore!
ibem-kilmore-20130217-800.jpg

Taking the side trips off the highway was the best thing I'd done on this leg of the trip - the traffic was lighter, travelled about the same speed and if I had stayed on the highway I would have gone mad.

The Melbourne Ring Road took me west of the city centre, then over the West Gate Bridge, a quick turn off into Port Melbourne and I was completely lost looking for the signs that should direct me to the ferry. It appears they only install a sign on every second turn you need to make to find the wharf - once I understood that I used my GPS as a compass and just took the road that went "most south" until I hit the beach road and could see the wharf.

I wasn't really enamoured with my Melbourne traffic experience - confusing signage, roadworks the full length of the Ring Road, three sets of speed/safety cameras, at least one speed/safety camera van hidden under an overpass, cars trying to either rear-end me(I can see why the cameras make so much money) or merge over the top of me and a full RBT/drug bus operating on the beachfront! Is this normal for a Sunday afternoon in Melbourne?

At last I make it into the loop in the road beside the wharf which is jam packed with oversized campervans double-parking while they wait for the ferry. A guy in motorcycle gear waves me into a parking spot with three other bikes - "Are you with these two?", pointing at the other bikes, "Oh well, they asked me to keep an eye out for their mate, got no idea what he looks like".

So we waited for the Spirit of Tasmania to arrive, making small talk and watching the tension between campervan drivers and beachgoing Melbournians reach boiling point as the locals attempt to extricate themselves from a maze of towering Winnebagos....

The ferry arrives, and after a wait......we make it onto the dock for security inspection......my gas bottle gets taken away for safe storage and then we......wait........
2013-tassie-tour-day7-still-waiting1-800.jpg

After some time, during which we could hear trucks being unloaded from the ferry we get waved on and ....wait.......
2013-tassie-tour-day7-still-waiting2-800.jpg

Then down a loop in the road leading to the loading ramp where all the bikes get shuffled to one side in a large group, then to the ramp in one large group.
2013-tassie-tour-day7-bikes-ready-load-800.jpg

BMW R100 and Ducati with club rego in front of me - good to see them out and about!

The inside of the ferry was dark after sitting outside for so long, but I don't think anyone hit any of the tie-down points as we were guided into place. From here it was a mad scramble to unload what you needed for the night and squeeze between bikes to the exit stairs and off to our cabins.

I'd left my booking a little late and ened up paying extra for a 2 bed porthole cabin. Not a lot of room, but I have the added benefit of being able to look out the spray-smeared window at the darkness - yay!
2013-tassie-tour-day7-cabin-800.jpg

Loading was still going on as I headed to the top deck for a few sunset shots:
2013-tassie-tour-day7-sunset1-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day7-sunset2-800.jpg

Dusk:
2013-tassie-tour-day7-dusk-800.jpg

West Gate bridge is on the right.

The poker machines in the gaming area were already running at full throttle before we undocked in the darkness and headed out into Port Philip Bay.

Melbourne:
2013-tassie-tour-day7-melbourne-lights-800.jpg

The vibration of the engines made it hard to get a good photo - or maybe Melbourne was waving goodbye?
2013-tassie-tour-day7-melbourne-lights-waving-800.jpg

Dinner was a rather expensive and not really appetising bain-marie collation from the Captains Table restaurant, before heading off to bed with my alarm set for an early start.....

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Excellent!!
Also thanks for those links to some of the Bright events and movies, re-visiting some of those is fun.
Looking forward to that Tassie-section now :chug:

penguineer

just luscious
Excellent!!
Also thanks for those links to some of the Bright events and movies, re-visiting some of those is fun.
Looking forward to that Tassie-section now :chug:

Mate - this creates a bit of a conflict-of-interest for me - I don't want to distract you from your own ride report!!!

For those that may be landing here directly; after Bright, Glitch and few other austouring.com regulars headed off to New Zealand for their third "off the beaten track" ride, this time returning to the south island.

Scenery, rough roads, water and good food - it's all here: Rockin' The Soul_NZ's South 2013 http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4585

:glu
Cheers!

Top Bottom