Movies and a game of cards

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The Rosebery real estate market is a little flat at the moment.

]

It was REALLY flat about 12-15 years ago after the mine had been shut for a few years.... the current affairs programs on TV were touting stories of houses for sale with all services connected @ around $8-12.000.....we got there, and the majority of places advertised in the the window of the only open business in town, the store, had A4 sun-bleached printouts stuck to the glass with over-scribbled price stickers around $4-6000.

Nothing flash but a 2br. weatherboard on a HUGE block, by today's standards, ready to move in.

Places did eventually sell when word got around that the mine might start up again. 3 years ago the price-stickers in the same shop window were around the $260.000- $350.000 mark.:eek::eek:

Love the yarn....this is one slow and educational Tassie-tootle not to be missed.
Awesome...keep going, please.

penguineer

just luscious
Day 11 - Mount Wellington, a bit of a blow and penguins in the night!

Just want to ask a basic question - the images that I post up have been resized to 800pixels on their long side and file size of 64kb. This means that the images are quick to display on most peoples' internet connection, but means the images can appear a bit blocky. Should I increase the file size, to improve the picture quality, or are people happy with what they see now?

Sorry I haven't updated in a while - had a bit of a writers brick going on........

The sun hadn't quite risen before I got up........
2013-tassie-tour-day11-morning-before-sunup-800.jpg

Another beautiful day
2013-tassie-tour-day11-sunrise1-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-sunrise2-800.jpg

A quick look into the motel office(signed as "cafe") before leaving........
2013-tassie-tour-day11-kingston-beach-motel-office-800.jpg

The motel is in a state of flux at the moment - the back of the complex is a new two-story concrete and glass building and the old single-story front half is to be demolished and replaced soonish. Pity - I kinda like the look of the old design, but that's progress.....(you can see the new building at the back on the other side of the fence)
2013-tassie-tour-day11-kingston-beach-motel-side-800.jpg

Regardless - very friendly and helpful people here(even opening up their laundry after hours so I could do some washing, or maybe I smelt that bad).

The next major bay along the coast is Blackmans Bay - another small beachside town similar to Kingston beach.
2013-tassie-tour-day11-blackmans-bay-800.jpg

I had a quick look at the blowhole, but it wasn't blowing today as the weather was too caln.........
2013-tassie-tour-day11-blackmans-bay-blowhole-800.jpg

Kingston Beach and Blackmans Bay reminded me of the parts of the Gold and Sunshine Coasts before they got completely overdeveloped and turned into tourist traps.

Big fork at a garden and landscape supplier at Huntingfield
big-garden-fork-huntingfield-tas-20130221-800.jpg

Once again, turn south to head north and take a back road past small farms and acreage towards Mount Wellington.

The Longley Hotel has a Big Axe
big-axe-longley-hotel-20130221-800.jpg

It seems they like their woodchopping here. But there are rules
2013-tassie-tour-day11-longley-hotel-rules-800.jpg

Before heading up to the top of Mount Wellington I decided to fuel up. No servos on the main road before the turnoff, but a little further along is the Skyline Servo......
2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-signs-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-800.jpg

A lot of memorabilia in here
2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-inside1-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-inside2-800.jpg

And a nice attitude to business
2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-procrastitorium-800.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-lubitorium-800.jpg

(and they were too.....)

Now back to Road up Mount Wellington
2013-tassie-tour-day11-up-mount-wellington-800.jpg

After a while the trees and greenery disappears and gives way to a rather bare rocky mountainside.

Finally at the top looking down over Hobart:
2013-tassie-tour-day11-mount-wellington-hobart-800.jpg

The air is much cooler up here - on the way up there are about four places where the road can be closed due to ice and snow. Luckily, while I was up there the weather was fine and clear.

Shameless piccie at one of the lookouts:
2013-tassie-tour-day11-me-at-mount-wellington-800.jpg

And a few panoramas of the views from different places and lookouts:

2013-tassie-tour-day11-mount-wellington-1-panorama.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-mount-wellington2-panorama.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-mount-wellington3-panorama.jpg

2013-tassie-tour-day11-mount-wellington4-panorama.jpg

The tall white thing is a transmission tower. Must have a fair output as there are signs around the place advising how to get into your car if the security system fails and warning not to attempt coasting down the mountain because the engine wouldn't start.

There is a quite popular bicycle tour that comes up here - people arrive on a minibus with a trailerload of bicycles and then coast back down. Luckily they have a regroup and chat at the first pullover area and I was able to pass them- some of them didn't seem all that proficient or confident.......

I decided not to head down to Port Arthur - there's enough stuff of interest to me down there that I could spend several days looking around. Not on this trip.....

Maria Island.
2013-tassie-tour-day11-maria-island-800.jpg

Maria Island was another of the out of the way locations that had a prison for intractable convicts - how many did they need?!?!?

These days Maria Island is also known for it's wildlife and hosts a population of Tasmanian Devils - isolated from the facial tumor disease that threatens to wipe out the mainland population.

I didn't photograph the convict-built wall along the Prosser River near Orford, but I did get Spiky bridge - amazing what you can build if you have a huge supply of convict labour at your disposal.
2013-tassie-tour-day11-spiky-bridge-800.jpg

Nobody is quite sure why the spiky rocks were put there - keep cattle on the path, showing off, or an early version of wire rope barriers?

Detail of the spikes - you can also see remnants of sea shells used to make a basic cement.
2013-tassie-tour-day11-spiky-bridge-detail-800.jpg

This could be interesting
2013-tassie-tour-day11-wobbly-motorcycles-800.jpg

Lots of beautiful coastline along the way and lots of oyster farms along the way....unfortunately when you've already stopped about four times and the day is wearing on you tend to get a bit "viewed out"......you could spend ages just looking at the scenery.....Wineglass Bay beckoned, but I wanted to get just a bit further up the coast - and I know there are penguins in Bicheno!

Shortly after arriving in Bicheno, I took this to be a good sign!
2013-tassie-tour-day11-bicheno-penguin-sign-800.jpg

You have to wait your turn with the blowhole - a whole busload of tourists were ahead of me.....
2013-tassie-tour-day11-bicheno-blowhole-800.jpg

Bicheno Penguin tours runs out of the local surf shop (http://www.bichenopenguintours.com.au/)- the tours started when local surfers noticed the penguins around the place, they bought a farm on the coast and have put a fair amount of effort into making tours possible without disrupting the penguins too much.

There is a small hill above the town with a lookout on top. Turns out this is part of the story of why Bicheno is here.

This is the view from one of the lookouts over The Gulch - home to the local fishing fleet.
2013-tassie-tour-day11-bicheno-gulch-800.jpg

In days gone by, The Gulch used to be home for a number of whale boats - the small islands providing some protection from the open ocean, yet the boats had a quick way out to the ocean. The top of the hill still has a tree with axe-cut steps used by a lookout to gain even more height. When migrating whales were spotted, the lookout would signal the boats in the Gulch and they would give chase.

Dinner was a pretty nice fish and chips that I took back to the blowhole
2013-tassie-tour-day11-dinner-fish-and-chips-800.jpg

Of course, you don't get to eat on your own....
2013-tassie-tour-day11-gulls-watching-me-eat-800.jpg

....but the meal was that good......
2013-tassie-tour-day11-bicheno-blowhole-splash-panorama.jpg

No photos of the penguin tour - part of the conditions of the tour is no torches or cameras. The penguins don't like bright lights and can get scared off, given that they are returning to shore to feed their chicks this could be slightly disastrous. A small mini-bus took us out to a "secret location" (a farm by the beach) where the penguins come ashore at night.

At this time of year there aren't as many penguins as the peak of the season with only about 50 adults trooping up the beach, but a lot of the adults are going into moult. It's a precarious time for the chicks that haven't left yet as their parents will soon go into moult and can't go to sea again until they have finished moulting and their new feathers are watertight.

The penguins either didn't care or were used to these tall, land-based creatures that occasionally wandered through their habitat - more than once we were held up by plump, half-fledged chicks standing in the middle of the path waiting for their parents and making melodious(hah!) calls to let them know where they were.

Amazing night.

Arriving back at the surf shop we were treated to the sight of a helicopter with a searchlight hovering over the town. Something was up so a small group of us wandered off to see what was going on. Eventually we spotted what looked to be a couple of paramedics headed towards The Gulch on foot, a police helicopter abandoned on a sportsfield and more penguin chicks waiting for food in a motel carpark....

Tomorrow I have to be back in Burnie, so off to bed.......

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Just want to ask a basic question - the images that I post up have been resized to 800pixels on their long side and file size of 64kb. This means that the images are quick to display on most peoples' internet connection, but means the images can appear a bit blocky. Should I increase the file size, to improve the picture quality,

Currently the max size the forum software is set to is 900 wide, with a corresponding height ratio. Meaning, it's 900pixel wide, whatever the height is, up to 3600pixel max height.
If either one of those the 2 values is smaller, the pic will be displayed at the original size. If either value is bigger, the forum software will automatically down-size and add a bar diplaying the original size. That bar is clickable to upsize that pic (not all other "oversized" pics on the page as well, only the one clicked).
As time went on, net-speeds increased, bigger monitors become the standard etc etc, we went from 600 to 800 to 900 wide.
900 wide creates files around the 200kb each (averaged)....on a page with 5 posts/ 10-15 shots each post, that's 50-75pics that have to be downloaded to the reader's computer ....that's 10-15mb per page plus text plus smilies.
And that's, when pics have been resized by the author to 900 wide....

For the time being, 900 wide gives a nice, good quality pic for a ride-report usually without the need for scrolling sideways.
Sooner or later, we'll up-size to 1024 though...

Another beautiful day
2013-tassie-tour-day11-sunrise1-800.jpg

Oh yeah!! :glu

...... a little further along is the Skyline Servo......
2013-tassie-tour-day11-skyline-servo-signs-800.jpg

Thanks for the tip, will have a good look at it in Feb/March next year.:chug:

There is a quite popular bicycle tour that comes up here - people arrive on a minibus with a trailerload of bicycles and then coast back down. Luckily they have a regroup and chat at the first pullover area and I was able to pass them- some of them didn't seem all that proficient or confident.......

That's the spot where the tour operator removes the brake-levers on those bikes that the credit card bounced on.:bt

What a fantastic yarn!!
And damn cleverly spaced, made me read up on the 3 previous days again to click into the general drift of the story before getting onto the new bits. :clap::clap:

Top Bottom