Around Australia with 8yo son

John_Johnny

Long Timer

^ Cann River ^

Pambula to Paynesville 306km
Piddley little distances now. We stopped at Eden for a leisurely counter lunch, then another stop at Cann River for an ice cream. Tonight is out last night and we're staying at Nan and Grumps in Paynesville. Tomorrow we arrive home and after we get the bike unpacked and clean ourselves up, we might go to school pickup at 3.15pm and see if Trev's little brother, Andrew, still remembers us.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The look on Trevor's face!! You've all read about our trip, but I think Trev's smile says it all. Here's a boy who knows a lot more now than he did 45 days ago.

Back home at last. What a tough little bloke Trevor is!
All his school friends were pleased to see him. Andrew declared he was tougher and took the front seat to show that it was his turn for a big adventure.
The trip took 45 days and covered 15,076km.
There was some good news with the RACV insurance after the crash in Darwin. They agreed to simply replace everything that was damaged, so no resprays, no straightening. I still have the entire left side fairing (tiny scuff mark) and the sub frame hanging up in the shed.
I lost the 'at fault' argument and had to pay the excess as lane splitting was illegal in the NT at that time.

I hope you've enjoyed the trip. I certainly enjoyed sharing it with you. I started this thread on December 1st and I hope by telling it in real time, it seemed more like you were traveling with us. And thanks to AusTouring.com for this forum to share my memories, and giving me the impetus to document the trip before dementia sets in.

Now what to do about Andy? When Trev and I first tried the 'Round Oz' trip on the old R100RS, we failed because the bike got too hot and we ended up catching the bus from Pt Augusta to Ayres Rock. We climbed to the top and I put two small stones in my pocket and brought them back home to Melbourne. My friends tell me I stuffed up in a big way, and I will be cursed, so maybe I should ride back to Ayres Rock on this better bike and return those two tiny pebbles?

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Thanks for sharing. :clap:

There is something special about putting together ride reports long after the ride is done....:thumbs:

....that reminds me, it's probably time we checked out our photo libraries from trips long past....:whistle:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Tomorrow we arrive home and after we get the bike unpacked and clean ourselves up, we might go to school pickup at 3.15pm and see if Trev's little brother, Andrew, still remembers us.

The look on Trevor's face!! You've all read about our trip, but I think Trev's smile says it all. Here's a boy who knows a lot more now than he did 45 days ago.

What a shot!!
Those 45 days will never, ever be forgotten, no doubt.
Brilliant idea on that school pickup, too.
:clap::clap:

I hope you've enjoyed the trip. I certainly enjoyed sharing it with you. I started this thread on December 1st and I hope by telling it in real time, it seemed more like you were traveling with us. And thanks to AusTouring.com for this forum to share my memories, and giving me the impetus to document the trip before dementia sets in.

Enjoyed the story immensely and you're right, telling it a bit-every-day made it a 6-week cliffhanger. One never knew what would happen next.
Thanks for a wonderful yarn and a "trip-around-the-block-in-the-sidechair".
Bravo!
:thumbs::chug:

As for the pebbles...I think they should be returned to their rightful place...and there's only one way to do that properly!!
Get back out there and let that Beemer sing once more :woot:
Thanks for taking us along.

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Thanks John & Johnny,
it was a big report.... good stuff around Australia.
Nice pics and every time a lovely smile on the face of Your Sunny Boy.:clap:
Have a nice time again
Hans

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Great ride report, especially for your first one.
:clap:

You've set a high standard for follow up reports, hope didn't use all of your literary talent in one hit.
:bs

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Thanks for putting this together John, very entertaining. Curious whether Trevor now rides himself, or whether 15,000km was enough for him :endu .

Top Bottom