didn't make it to Nindigully 2011....

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It seems that stators are becomming a common problem with the stroms. It has left me stranded at Ayers Rock and again at Wauchope. First one was done on warranty before the recall with the rectifier and the second I replaced myself

JC

To stop any confusion...the stator has only shown to be a problem on SOME DL1000s...the 650's are NOT affected.
Even on the VEE it's not a regular problem, but more prevalent than on the WEE.

There are some reputable sources who claim the prime culprit responsible to be the regulator/ rectifier, which has also shown to shyte itself quite frequently on the VEE.

penguineer

just luscious
To stop any confusion...the stator has only shown to be a problem on SOME DL1000s...the 650's are NOT affected.
Even on the VEE it's not a regular problem, but more prevalent than on the WEE.

There are some reputable sources who claim the prime culprit responsible to be the regulator/ rectifier, which has also shown to shyte itself quite frequently on the VEE.

Pretty what our research showed up - not really known for major stator issues (as in you don't get people saying "electrics are crap on the Vee", you have to go looking for reports of problems) and only noted on the DL1000. The 650s were never mentioned.

Everyone I've spoken to about this has been surprised that it happened, more so that I've had two stator failures.

This is the recall that we did find that refers to the DL1000:

Suzuki—GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSF650, GSF1250, GSX650F, GSX1300BK, GSX1300R, GSR600, VLR1800, VLR1500, VL800, SFV650, AN400, AN250, DL1000, and LT-Z400
PRA number:
2011/12381
Date created: 1st March 2011 Product information

Product description

All 2008-2009 Suzuki motorcycles with the following model numbers: GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSF650, GSF1250, GSX650F, GSX1300BK, GSX1300R, GSR600, VLR1800, VLR1500, VL800, SFV650, AN400, AN250, DL1000, and LT-Z400 Identifying features

Target Number: 8795
Campaign Number: SRC11-02What are the defects?

Some regulator/rectifier assemblies were produced with insufficient adhesion between the power module and the rectifier case. Due to the insufficient adhesion, heat generated from the power module can cause it to lift from the case. This condition can cause excessive heat in the module which can result in insufficient charge being provided to the battery. What are the hazards?

The battery may discharge and can lead to the engine stalling or a non-start condition.Where the product was sold

• Nationally
Note the language - "some regulator/rectifier assemblies", which indicates a bad batch rather than a chronic design fault. The reason for a sweeping recall is because they can either identify the bad units or will just replace the whole lot to be sure.

The hazards info seems a bit understated - it's pretty freaky travelling at 100kph in commuter traffic and having the dash instrumentation go gaga as the engine sucks the last little bit of magic out of the battery before it shuts down.....

Anyways - doesn't really help.

Other suggestions I've had have been:
- reduced airflow due to bashplate not cooling oil suffiently and leading to overheating of the stator;
and
- gritty bits from the clutch plates getting into the stator and gumming things up/overheat.

Cheers!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
And with those wise words we'll close the thread before it deteriorates into a Suzuki-Electrics discussion.
:chug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom