AusTouring Rally 2010

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
IMGP0639.jpg

Same corner in `97

HOLIDAY_05.jpg

:clap::clap:

That's a bewdy!.....and what a nice comparo.
Those shots from Buller remind me to whizz up there again one of those days....it's a nice piece of road and the views from the top and just fantastic.

How you 2 guys managed to stay alive in that heat being 2 up and squashed into place by all the gear, beats me.
:chug::chug:

Hi Guys, well after a couple of atempts to get this final episod into the thread I'm trying again.

Picking up the ride on Sunday....

The following day was a real eye opener to group riding, following people I didn’t really know and seeing some pretty cool riders in action who know how to handle two wheels far better then me.

With the offer of two groups, one strictly on the tar and one on the tar but with some dirt I decided today was to be my first real go at dirt with any sense of speed, if you can call 60 kph speedy…?

After afew k’s on the tar then a tentative start to the dirt I found my comfort zone and just hung on. But as Pete eluded there was one corner of dirt that nearly bought me undone. With nowhere to go and inexperiend cutting in I hit the brakes and just hoped I could pull it around in time but the bloody ABS kept cutting in and in the end it was pure luck I didn’t leave the road.
Lesson learned, don’t take your eyes off the road when it’s new.
Anyway, with some encouragement from watching the others I made it through the dirt unscathed.

Goodie in action,

4329137391_578dbe4137.jpg

Well she was there a minuet ago

Ah, there she is

4329133165_7eaa0d80fd.jpg

Pete, I like it….. ! NZ is good to go.

Most of the others have described the rest of the ride to Adamidaby etc so I’ll skip that part up to Cabramurra where we all met at the lookout for a break before the run back to Khancoban.

Approaching Cabramurra, Eugene in the lead followed by Pete

4329142085_9fd3dfd286.jpg

Eugene was feeling in need of a bit longer break so wanted to wait a bit more before heading off and I must admit I was a bit tired as well so elected to enjoy the view for a bit longer.

4329157397_2ce88d9914.jpg

4329888178_59fb8eb766.jpg

Eugene doing his superman impersonation
4329149465_544b202412.jpg

4329881620_fcb47ca2de.jpg

In all honesty I think I dozed off in the shade for a few minuets for a nanna nap. After about 30 min of having a lay down in the shade we headed off. The decision to hang back a bit longer was nearly my undoing. All was uneventful until 20km out of Khancoban I rounded a left hand bend at 60kph to this

4329907616_f6bf109eff.jpg

To say I had a pucker moment is an understatement, I still have a ring mark in my saddle. I just had time to turn around and wave madly to Eugene to try and warn him which allowed him to avoid the same outcome. We then rode around the tree and had time to take a photo when a 4WD nearly performed what we had averted.
The three of us together were still not enough to move it off the road so unfortunately we had to leave it and hope know one came to grief.
By this time the sun was right in our faces and seeing through corners was getting hard. Anything in shadow was impossible.

Eugene in action.

4329167259_7ff45e6240.jpg

4329163035_f8ba9581e9.jpg

Eugene then reminded me about roos this time of day. Gulp…..
with the previous excitement I had forgotten about the hoppers so we slowed down a bit more. After arriving in Khancoban and reporting the tree down we headed back to the cabins for beer and Pizza, what a great end to a long day. :woot::wow:

Monday came too quick for me. I don’t know about anyone else but it seemed like one minuet it was Friday and then it’s Monday and time to head home. Where furrk did the weekend go?
Anyway after all the thanks and see ya latter’s Eugene and I headed to Jindabyne for fuel with an obligatory stop at Dead Horse Gap.

4329912274_8b05c9a573.jpg

4329915760_4a8dfabdf4.jpg

We were going to have lunch at Jindy but decided on Berridale, as we would split up there. Eugene taking the sensable alternative and heading back to the coast where it was a bit cooler and me heading to a mates place in Canberra via the back roads to Adaminaby then more dirt to Tharwa.

4329184195_67e7464949.jpg

4329188409_0183c81632.jpg

4329926736_73e2ea65d8.jpg

4329930406_2bec298cca.jpg

It was too late to stop at the observatory so I’ll have to leave that to next time. I arrived in north Canberra around 6pm in time for me to do a quick change act and head for the golf club with my mate for a couple of coldies and some take away Indian – more fuel for the next day….. ya didn’t know my strom runs on natural gas did ya…..!

I was getting a bit tired now not having done these sorts of miles before, so after a bit of casual conversation early night was on the go.
Next day I was up at 8:00 for toast and a cupper then packed the bike for the trip home. As I rode out of Canberra I decided to stay off the highway as much as possible and take the back road via Tarago. Here I noticed a road that went to Bungonia which I hadn’t taken before and would allow me to miss more highway than going to Goulbourn, so off I went.

Not many photos here as I just wanted to get home now.

4329202253_0c5188e43f.jpg

Windmills just east of lake george on the back road.
4329199233_eb944d454a.jpg

I didn’t realise it was mostly dirt but as I had already travelled about a third of the way by the time I hit the dirt and didn’t want to go back I decided to push on with the confidence gained over the last few days fresh in my mind.
Suffice to say I made it, although I did have a wobbly moment right at the end where the dirt met the tar and there were some road works and they had laid a heap of gravel.
It was like riding into a tray of kitty litter, oh shit,
a bit more right hand rotation and I came out – just.
Bugger that was close, so now safe back on the tar I headed to Bungonia and then Marulan to refuel one more time before taking more back roads via Bundanoon and Bowral and picking up the old highway again that Eugene and I used at the start.
Arriving back home at 2pm tired and sweaty and 1830km later I unloaded the bike, showered and had a beer or two thinking I would unpack tomorrow as I still had one more day off.

*********************************************************************************************
It’s a couple of weeks now since we were all down at Khancoban and it seems like ages ago. Yes when is the next one?
I know others have expressed their thanks to Pete, Goodie, Nev, Jo and co but I would personally like to say a thanks to everyone. :clap:
With the exception of Eugene I didn’t know any of you from a bar of soap apart from the few threads here on AT but all of you welcomed me to the mob.
A special big thanks to Pete, mate I don’t want to embarrass you but you’re one in a million :oops:. To finally meet you in person was a privilege, you are a gentlemen no matter what everyone else says.

How was that Pete did I say it just right. Is the $50 in the post or will ya fork up in NZ. :bees::bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The following day was a real eye opener to group riding.....

WOT?? Your first group-ride?
Your corner-marking was :thumbs: straight out of the box.
More to come in NZ.

first real go at dirt with any sense of speed, if you can call 60 kph speedy…?
Speedy enough, mate....for that loose, squirrely stuff, anyway.

After afew k’s on the tar then a tentative start to the dirt I found my comfort zone and just hung on. But as Pete eluded there was one corner of dirt that nearly bought me undone. With nowhere to go and inexperience cutting in I hit the brakes and just hoped I could pull it around in time but the bloody ABS kept cutting in and in the end it was pure luck I didn’t leave the road.

Oh man....Hill Corner, what a ripper, aye? :bs
A dropping-away, downhill left-hander immediately after a blind crest.
:eek::eek:

Pete, I like it….. ! NZ is good to go.

:so:so

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
.... and me heading to a mates place in Canberra via the back roads to Adaminaby then more dirt to Tharwa.

4329184195_67e7464949.jpg

4329188409_0183c81632.jpg

4329926736_73e2ea65d8.jpg

4329930406_2bec298cca.jpg

Nice roads across those plains...and into the back of Namadji, eh? :glu
You just gotta love the "boulder"-country...

........but I would personally like to say a thanks to everyone. :clap:
With the exception of Eugene I didn’t know any of you from a bar of soap apart from the few threads here on AT but all of you welcomed me to the mob.

Welll....what'd you expect the AT crowd to be like, a bunch of prickly bastards?
Right!!:bees: :bs:bs

A special big thanks to Pete, mate I don’t want to embarrass you but you’re one in a million :oops:.
How was that Pete did I say it just right. Is the $50 in the post or will ya fork up in NZ. :bees::bs

That was....hmmmm.... embarrassing, mate :oops::oops:

But HELL, 50 bux worth any day!!:rofl::rofl:

Let's see how much it'll cost me after 2 weeks NZ :bang::whistle::guff:guff

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Oh man....Hill Corner, what a ripper, aye? :bs
A dropping-away, downhill left-hander immediately after a blind crest.
:eek::eek:

:so:so

Downhill, dirt and a corner ............... shite!

Keep well away from Pete. Otherwise he'll try and lead you astray, as he did with me on the Elliot Way, and that corner did not have downhill or dirt.

Some riders use their motorcycling skills for GOOD, some use their skills for EVIL, and then there is GLITCH !!!

Top Bottom