Berlin or Dust - I went for the Dust!

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
I'm living 230 km west of Berlin. So it's just a 2.5 hour drive on the motorway and I would be in Berlin "Brandenburger Tor".

Berlin-Brandenburger Tor nowadays

rl6aLXP.jpg

Brandenburger Tor in 1982
Ffviuyt.jpg

But if you love the dust it is better to pass Berlin and head for the old unpaved tracks east of Berlin.

Peter twisting the throttle. :endu

WBesCLf.jpg

We did all this already some years ago. But it's never to late to write everything down in a thread.
I was expecting my friends from Austria. They are strong believers of the dirt. What else can you expect from KTM drivers?

Their second burning desire was to have a run to see the Baltic sea. So I offered them a tour off the beaten track from south of Berlin to Usedom - the prettiest German island in the Baltic.

To show you this interesting area in Germany I put two scouting tours and the real tour together into this thread.

Last edited:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
First of all there were a lot of hours looking into Google earth. When I was prepared, I started the first scouting. My Husaberg was resting on the trailer and off we went to Müncheberg, a small town east of Berlin.
YazFS4T.jpg

This is the first day going south. It's not the original track but roughly.
D085lV4.jpg

I was heading south as far as Lübbenau in the Spreewald. Spreewald is an area which is swampy, they have a lot of small waterways there. It is a very touristic place nowadays.

ASksZVR.jpg

On the way I passed the manor house Steinhöfel and the nice town of Bad Saarow with its romantic railway station.

Steinhöfel:thumbs:

sRm3dGE.jpg

cMizrE1.jpg

Bad Saarow Railway station
the main building in the middle and the platform to the left and right.

zYeacK0.jpg

LH2JZQS.jpg

The starting point of the run to Baltic sea should be the spreewald so I turned here.
5gMaSor.jpg

Of course not everything you see in Google earth or a map turns out to be a track you can follow. Sometimes it's a cycle path and if you are in touristic area there will be hordes of cyclers on it. And of course a lot of the tracks are banned for motor use. But there was enough of nice tracks left. They are used by the locals and because this area is not so much populated it does not pay to pave them. Unfortunately nature tourism is booming in these areas, so my old tracks might be lost.W-):mad:

Last edited:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
The next day I went north.

3kUTxpf.jpg

3oSotyQ.jpg

That looks promising small minor road leaves the village.
wBfJAZk.jpg

First interesting stop was Neuhardenberg. During the times of the GDR it was an important air base. In that times the street in front of the manor house, where the bike parks, was named Karl Marx Street.

6s2W1ZS.jpg

The ones who named the street probably didn't expect that the buildings will be an architectural gem again in a new capitalistic time.
This is the complete set of the manor house. Hotel and Restaurant, offices.

gfCIkqn.jpg

Just saw in GE that they build up a huge Solar Park beside the air strip. I doubt if this is useful for us German tax payers, solar parks are subsidized in Germany. :eek:When we were there it was just a huge air strip.
wHSNMkt.jpg

Further on I reached the river Oder and its marshland.

sUIJGSB.jpg

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I'm google-earthing myself silly already, it's all "new turf" to me :clap:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
The first scouting brought me as far as Chorin.

Near Bad Freienwalde I came to this sign. As you can see by my alias I love that white stuff, which enlightens your day!

Yes, you are right I'm talking of sugar, in German Zucker. And a Zuckerfabrik like it is written on the sign is a sugar plant. So you can imagine this sign made my day and was now on he list of: Must visit place.

MKZKNeK.jpg

The day was already perfect, I had already so may fantastic moments on old farm tracks and on forest roads. :woot:
For a rider from Down Under or the States riding in the dust is no problem. For a rider in Germany it is a real challenge to find legal dirt. 99.8 % of the German Traffic system is paved. So it was a real pleasure to find more and more km in the dirt.
Out here in the North East a lot of interesting buildings are surrendered: The people are gone or it is to expensive to refurbish or it is run down in the past or to far away from anything.

The reasons are plenty, it always makes me sad to see interesting buildings falling apart.:(

F4YJ9Ff.jpg

ZeFh0QZ.jpg

I rode up to the former monastery Chorin. Then I turned back heading for car and trailer and back home again. Part one was a success!

Z9Jqt5T.jpg

Home run on the motorway.:thumbs:

iIDpkMl.jpg

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The first scouting brought me as far as Chorin.
Near Bad Freienwalde I came to this sign. As you can see by my alias I love that white stuff, which enlightens your day!

OK, got your birth place now...:thumbs:

For a rider from Down Under or the States riding in the dust is no problem. For a rider in Germany it is a real challenge to find legal dirt. 99.8 % of the German Traffic system is paved. So it was a real pleasure to find more and more km in the dirt.

Agree, no comparison....but give us another 20 years to pave more and more of the "good stuff" and lock away the rest for "recreational use".

Out here in the North East a lot of interesting buildings are surrendered: The people are gone or it is to expensive to refurbish or it is run down in the past or to far away from anything.

It sure is a crying shame. Saw the same thing in/ around Stralsund last year....and even more so in the Balkans.
Some beautiful workmanship and unique features just rotting into the ground, most likely never to be seen again.

That building in the 2. pic is typical for it.:doh:

Keep traveling, mate....this is something special.

Top Bottom