No greasy newspaper.

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
Click on the images to see them full size.

A few weeks back my wife and I went for a small ride. Just one to clear the head and have a nice lunch together. A bit of us time. We did not want to go very far from home. So heading north we went up the Old Pac. A road well ridden and reported on here by me before.

Road works are being done to the Old Pac at present. Some stretches are being wholly tared. At least this gets rid of the dangerous tar snakes that are very slippery in the wet and on a hot day. Tar snakes are where tar has been poured into the cracks on the road. It’s cheaper for them to do this than resurface the whole road. Some of the rock walls are being cut back as well and metal matting pinned to the walls. This is to help stop rocks falling onto the road.

Once at Brooklyn we had fish and chips from the local shop that is opposite the train station. The fish is freshly caught that morning. Tastes so good too. They do not wrap them in newspaper either. Lunch consumed it was time to have a look around Brooklyn. So we rode up to the lookout that looks over Dangar Island and Parsley Bay.

During World War Two an Anti Aircraft gun was mounted on the spit of land. As you will see from the photos below you can still see the concrete mounting. No doubt this gun did not fire in anger. Would have been a soft posting for the gun crews. I bet they spent most of their time fishing in the Hawkesbury River below.

Time to head for home so instead of waiting in the traffic at the road works we blasted back towards Sydney on the freeway. The BMW is in its element on this type of road. Lots of grunt to haul up the hills and past the lines of traffic.

Roll on the next ride.

P

Punisher

while i lay in bed sick as a dog with some super flu and ear infection future, its a good read, you sure do get out and about.

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
while i lay in bed sick as a dog with some super flu and ear infection future, its a good read, you sure do get out and about.
Not as much as I would like believe me. Hope you get well soon mate. This flu is ripping through Sydney at the moment.

nev

Super Térrarist
During World War Two an Anti Aircraft gun was mounted on the spit of land. As you will see from the photos below you can still see the concrete mounting. No doubt this gun did not fire in anger. Would have been a soft posting for the gun crews. I bet they spent most of their time fishing in the Hawkesbury River below.

Hey you never know... In the 1800s, for fear of attack by the Russians or French, embattlements were built at the heads of Port Phillip Bay to protect the colony. The massive guns in this placement fired the first Allied shots in anger of both WWI and WWII.

P

Punisher

do we really know they were fired in anger, might of been fired in nuterelness ;-)

do we really know they were fired in anger,

In WW1 they fired to stop a German registered ship escaping from Port Philip shortly after war was declared. In WW2 I think they accidentally fired on a coastal vessel or pilot boat for something.
These are the actual gun barrels that did the deeds. Can't remember which one was WW1 and wich was WW2 though.

383050866_4adced7e19_b.jpg

Top Bottom