[VIC] Acheron Way & Toolangi State Forest..

J

joedel

Ok, fairly new to this forum but thought I'd share this little loop I did at the spur of the moment today.

Had a free day today, and with the fine weather of late, decided to take the TDM off the tar..
Bought this style of bike for this reason so thought its time I take the bike off road as I'm really feeling comfy with it atm.
Headed out to Warby and up Mt Donna to Cement Creek and the start of the Acheron Way for my first time..

First 7k were fairly slimy in places and I couldn't figure out why as we've had a week of perfect dry weather...
A little further on, workers were grading so this is probably why...
Not exactly a good surface for the BT023 tyres that were fitted to the TDM before I bought it.

Road then reverted to the hard packed gravel with was fine until it became sealed again about where the road comes to the Acheron River.

221216_10150176589028394_829493393_6769846_6645296_o.jpg

Headed to Narbethong, thru a trafficless (can u belive it!) Black Spur to Healesville and up Myers Creek Rd.
Did that right turn at the top (Mt Leonard I think) and decided to just keep going and see what happens..
After about 40 min, road finally ended somewhere (no clue where I took below photo) so I turned around.
Made a couple of wrong turns and kind of got lost (geez I love doing that!).

220940_10150176589138394_829493393_6769849_7167934_o.jpg

Eventually (an hour later!) made it back to Toolangi and down a very perfect Chum Creek Rd and home..

Had an awesome day and hoping soon to come along to some rides posted here..

My adventure riding life is starting...lol

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Acheron Way.... 7k were fairly slimy ....as we've had a week of perfect dry weather... A little further on, workers were grading so this is probably why...
Not exactly a good surface for the BT023 tyres that were fitted to the TDM before I bought.
You bloody lucky bugger....it was a magic day, absolutely purrrfect for snooping out the backblocks.
That part of the Acheron doesn't get much/ any sun...it's facing south and the tree-cover is fairly thick on a steep slope....which all makes for lots of damp/ wet stuff. Only ever seen that part "dusty"-dry a few times over the last few years...and no, the BT023s aren't really prime stuff for that sorta thing.
But shit, they're fun :bs

Had an awesome day and hoping soon to come along to some rides posted here..

My adventure riding life is starting...lol

Thanks for posting up....and some "slobber" pics :wink::so

I hate first posts like that. Now I'm just going to have to go and cry in the corner because I was stuck in the office all day.

Welcome.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I hate first posts like that.

Yeah, 's been a rotten day in that department.
Just an hour earlier I got a glowing report of a "brilliant spring ride" from Jimbo in Oregon. Just one of the pics....

Life sux, aye?? :bs

J

joedel

Sorry about the resulting depression.....:whistle:

Err, I'm not really because I had a ball....:D

Will def look at alternative tyres down the track but then again nothing like a little sway from side to side to keep your mind on the job!...
Although BT023 are quite good on tar, I have list of places to go where the tar disappears.......

Seen quite a few threads with pics on this forum that has me :drool:ing...

Now, where to next????

Williamson

Part of the furniture
... right turn at the top (Mt Leonard I think) and decided to just keep going and see what happens..
After about 40 min, road finally ended somewhere (no clue where I took below photo) and turned around ...

Sounds to me like you would have ended up near Limestone Road on the way to Yea. From, memory this is road Glitch took us on last year, the day Steve and Haysey got the punctures.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
More than easy to get royally lost in the Toolangi SF...there's a million tracks up there, many ending up shit-creek sooner or later :lol:
Get some Rooftop Maps from our trusty sponsor...BikeMart.

Where to next ?...ohhh Gosh!!

Endless stuff in the back of Mt. Dandy alone....then between Gembrook and the Princess Hwy...there's one from near where you took the first pic to the trout farm on the Narbethong-Marysville Rd....more around Flowerdale-Strath Creek...around Kinglake/ Yarra Glen/ Toolangi area....Wilhelmina Falls and the backroads to Yea...the Strathbogies and Switzerland Ranges...Western Gippy where you can ride yourself sick'n silly on good gravel and single-laner blacktops inside a 30x30km square.
All of those within throwing distance of "civiliziation" like bakeries, servo's pubs, other attractions.... and chockers full of points of interest from creeks to swimming holes, lookouts to shonky timber bridges and a hundred other things.

Check Google for all those "Beenak" Roads and lanes....there's a couple of dozen (most are dirt, all are scenic) of them, all good fun.

Then the back roads of the Yarra Valley...from/ to Powelltown through the State Forest...across to Warby....or Noojee to Cumberland Junction/ top of Reefton.

There are months of continuous riding and exploring, all within a day-ride... all depends on where you live, too.

GuyM

Getting the hang of it
Good on you Joedel. I had five days off over Easter and didn't get out once, and being on the end of a paintbrush was not my first choice! I have been running road rubber on my TDM for years and have suffered quite a few punctures when off the tar. It does help to drop the pressures a bit if you can be bothered, handling is less squirmy (but heavier) and I believe it helps prevent punctures. You will find dual sport tyres or knobbies pretty hard to find in TDM sizes, rear there are a few options but the front (which is where you want the grip) is pretty much limited to 18" rears run in reverse direction. I am still hoping to get my TDM more dirt worthy, one day.

Top Bottom