A ride to Tumut 7th - 11th/4/11.

Dalemation

Getting the hang of it
Oh My! I recognised some of those roads in your photos and it makes me want to go back! As for the roads I do not recognise, they make me want to go back there...
Thanks for the ride report SteveGt!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Steve,

Great report and greater pics.
:clap:

.... never done the River Rd / Wymah Ferry...

Mrs W and I rode this early this year with the trailer behind the Mighty CB. It is as 'sweet' as other sections of the Murray River Road. To rank any section would do any other section an in justice.

Which way did you go Myrtleford-Whitfield?

Could only be the Rose River Road, I think ..... and that is CB friendly territory - see my extract from the Strom site:

Martin (Zenn), Mrs W and I headed home from Bright via Buffalo River, Dandongadale, Rose River Road and Cheshunt. Glitch tried his best to put me off, but he did not scare with his stories of gravel, corrugations and soft powdery dirt.

Martin had to eat our dust as the mighty CB reached speeds of 75 & 80km/h in some sections. Some sections we had to slow to around 25km/h, and even down to 15km/h through two particularly soft powdery corners. The CB was 'as stable as' at these awesome speeds, as it is over 100km/h.

It was probably about the same distance (Myrtleford to Whitfield), but I figure about a bit quicker - and much more scenic.

And the road from Myrtleford to Buffalo River and then Dandongadale is as sweeeeet as.

And Rose River Road, well it just sounds nice too.

If some of yuse Victorian Strommers have not ridden the Rose River Road, shame on you.

On second and third thoughts, Steve is crazy enough to found real pretty sick roads between Myrtleford and Whitfield.

Come on Steve, which ones????

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Thanks guys.

Pete, I turned left of the Myrtleford - Glenrowen Rd at 9 kms, onto Monument Ln, Then onto Kneebones Gap Rd, left into Carboor - Everton Rd, right into Docker - Carboor Rd, left into Box Forest Rd, left Allans Ln, left Meadow Creek-Moyhu Rd, right Pettifers Rd, left Edi-Chestnut Rd, right Gentle Annie Ln, left Wangaratta-Whitfield Rd.

Zoom in for finer detail.
About 50kms. There are some interesting roads in that area that I will explore later in the year. I have done Rose River Rd numerous times.

nev

Super Térrarist
How did you survive the kneebone gap road? It is made from bone jarring rock. Ridden it once or twice. There's a better alternative than Kneebone Gap road. I think it's called River lane, however I can see it on google maps, it's no longer marked as a road there.
from the carboor upper road/carboor everton road junction, it's the dirt road on the right about 1km north of that intersection.

stevegt738

Tour Pro
No problems at all Nev, don't remember any rocks at all, just a nice gravel road. How long has it been since you were there? Looks like there's been a lot of road maintenace in the area, Waters Lane is one I want to have a look at, there are interesting looking roads everywhere in that area.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Gotcha...took that Kneebone Gap Rd. last Xmas (cage) and it seemed quite good.
After that same route as yours, ducking underneath the transmission lines before heading south towards Edi.

Let me know when you're going, I'd love to have a snoop around there.
There's also some good stuff around Myrrhee/Mollyullah/ Ryans Creek etc
Also: a good campsite at Blue Range Creek at the southern end of the Mt. Samaria S.P.
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0661.pdf

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Won't be till late in the year, possibly late october. I think an over nighter in the area would be nice, more time to nose around.

Top Bottom