AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 24-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #51
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: Balkans_2018...You Only Live Once!

Leaving our little Albanian Paradise...for the delights of the incredible P16 along+above the Montenegrin parts of Lake Shkoder.
To me, one of the TOP5 roads of the whole 3 weeks

Shkoder (Albania) -> P16 -> Lovcen Nat. Park -> Kotor -> Lepetane (Montenegro)

https://goo.gl/wuAphA

...and Gmaps sort-of has it right, ~240k and 6.5hrs before various stops, lunch, photos and a VERY slow descent down the Kotor Serpentines behind a long line of traffic stretched it all to about 10hrs on-the-road

Another chaotic 8-morning-kilometers from our Lakeside stay into Shkoder town.....2 old farts on push-bikes side-by-side treadling towards the city, flanked by a 3. old fart on a moped with a wicker-basket strapped to the back. 4 long geese-necks bobbing along with the potholes, the birds apparently quite happy about the scenic ride (or just hanging onto their beaks).
A kilometer of campers, black Mercs, black Golfs, schoolbus, a couple of tractors belching their Diesel clouds while slowly following the chatty Trio.....as a horse drawn cart trundles around the flashy, new roundabout while a couple of wrinkly matushkas try to force their vegie-carts into the oncoming crawl for better visibility...and hopefully the odd sale.
It's all starting to feel a little like "home" by now...

Out the south of the small city and across that Bojana-bridge underneath the Rozafa Castle.

Barely 20mins later we're up to the old Customs-routines of melting-in-the-sun-for-30mins, passports/rego-papers/Green Cards/ gloves on, gloves off/helmet off, helmet on/ pull over + stow paperwork...a quick fill-up at Fontana Derves and we're out of the traffic immediately by turning onto the P16

The narrow road climbs the hillside back to the Albanian border and to a set of comm-towers, before tacking north-west for the next 3 hrs. along the spines of the mountain-ranges between the Montenegrin Coast and Lake Shkoder.
ABSOLUTE GOLD!
If there are issues with vertigo, I'd suggest to stay away from the P16 though...some of the views give that queasy feeling in the gut and the smallest goof-up or mishap/ tech-issue
will be very high-priced.

Up, up we go...

Just about back in Albania, there's the turnabout....

Tiny villages along the lakeshore...

Old 24-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #52
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Ducking down one of those tiny hairpin-riddled singlelaners, it's hard to sort private driveways from the "main road" down to the beach and the enterprising local with a timber tub who wants to snare us for a boatride to one of the small islands.
While his mate tries to nick us a couple of Euros each for parking the bikes on the public carpark

Donji Murici

Back up the P16, skimming the ridges and balconies above the lake....

..."I wanna build a house here, RIGHT HERE!!"

Old 24-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #53
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Things don't end in Virpazar on the main road... they just continue with a great lunch under a grape-laden , shady canopy.... and a host choosing our lunch from his supplies in the kitchen.

Back into it and there are more single-laners along the ridges towards the main Montenegrin feeder area of Lake Shkoder...Rijeka Crnojevica and the famous River-Elbow.
A couple of bends along the way, too

Old 24-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #54
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Rijeka Crnojevica.... the famous River-Elbow that decorates all the Tourist brochures.

There is a tiny, somewhat overgrown driveway right next to that abandoned, old villa right opposite the main lookout signed to Meterizi....and within 30m it's down to 6ft wide, tall weeds growing out of the cracked center part of the single-lane asphalt, the hairpins are steep as hell and "foot-down" affairs
feathering the clutch in first gear....but it seems to keep going.
A few minutes later we're on the main M23 to Cetinj.

Mt. Lovcen in the background....

Looking down at Cetinj and the way we came....

Old 24-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #55
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Some low cloud knocks out some of the blue skies and the brandnew 3-lane racetrack across the top of the mountain from the turn-off towards Kotor turns to shyte not long after it started....

Looks like the coffee at the top was at about the same quality...

Dropping down the Kotor Serpentines on the P1 in a foggy haze....it's a shame not having the views....or at least not being stuck behind a loooong line of (Diesel-) traffic.

The going is so slow that a possible visit of the old WW1 Fort Vrmac would end in the dark, so it's down the main road into Kotor and a quick exit via the tunnel and airport to Lepetane, the ferry town waiting with a bed and tucker to end the day....
....but finding the booked cots is another matter!!
The tiny ferry-town only has maybe 100 houses and all I know is that it's a place just set back from the waters' edge by maybe a house-width...
We cruise back and forth the 8ft wide "Esplanade"...nothing looks like it did at Booking.com.

Walking into the small local grocery shop, I get a rap-over-the-knuckles for my willy-nilly parking from a local lady with a shopping bag....the shopkeeper tells me to chase her as she's the mum of the owner of the "Apartment Aleksandar" ....HOO-FARKIN-RAY!!

I chase her down and hand/feet-converse that we're "ze Australians" that are booked for tonight!
She shows me the "offstreet parking" for the bikes and I zip down the other end of town to fetch the rest of the crew...

Happy pisspots after the complimentary bottle of Rose....hey man, we're cruisin'.

Better late than never...checking the forum to make sure it's open after the daily backup....

The ferries keep going till 10pm.....time for some tucker, methinks

Bikes tucked away in an open garage within 10ft of the lapping surf... I just can't see how they would ever get a car in here without a 5-point turn...and blocking all through-traffic while at it.