Tassie East coast ride

T

techno

Went for a ride on the weekend and thought I’d post up a report. Be gentle with me, this is my first.

I set out on my own to ride to Bicheno from Hobart. One aim was to meet Smack (NR) who was coming back from Launceston on his new bike ( Ducati SS1000) via Scottsdale. The second reason was that the Bicheno bike show was on.

I set out at the leisurely hour of 10AM. Most of my rides have been group rides lately and it was good to get out on my own without feeling that you are either holding others up or going too fast. Sometimes you just have to set your own pace. I also wanted to stop and take some photos of my favourite spots. Most of the time I just ride past them with a fleeting appreciation.

I now have a greater appreciation for the skills of most photographers here. It’s not easy to pull up in a spot where you won’t get hit by the following log truck and also find a spot that best captures the view. Fumbling with the camera wearing gloves is also a clumsy way of doing things. Next time I’ll take a bit more time to think about it.

Just north of Triabunna I stopped and took this one of a stand of roadside trees. As you can see the weather gods were kind to me. Tassie this time of year can be much worse.

NthTriabunna.jpg

The road tends to follow the coast fairly close although you can’t see it all the time. A bit further north is one of my favourites. Coming over a crest you are confronted with the following scene. This typifies the Tassie east coast for me. I stopped a bit longer here.

coast.1.jpg

coast.2.jpg

coast.3.jpg

Anyhow, I made it to Bicheno for the bike show with plenty of time to look around as Smack was still on his way from St.Helens. I have some photos taken there but that’s for another post. The show was all but over when Smack showed up.

bikes.1.jpg

After a bite to eat we headed back to Hobart. No stopping for photos this time as it was about 3.30PM when we left. The only stop was for the loo at Orford and then straight on home. This was a bit more spirited as Smack was keen to test out his new wheels. Trying to keep up on a 27 year old cruiser was just asking for trouble. I worked out that hanging off it worked wonders through the corners. The only problem was when I exited a left hand corner hanging off only to be confronted with a rights hander. Hanging off is one thing but being able to move quickly from one side to the other is damn near impossible.

We arrived home just on dark which was a good thing as the bug collection on my visor was making it difficult to see.

All in all a reasonable ride with a big break in the middle. About 400km but done at a leisurely pace (as if I could do anything else on the XS650).

Hopefully from here my photography and writing skills will improve.

Cheers

Techno

goodie

Your first ride-report! Well done! Hope, there many more to follow.
Looks, like you had beautiful weather and roads void of traffic. Magic! Thanks for sharing.

lil

Rider on hold...new mum!
Looks like I had a good influence on Smack when we were there in Jan/Feb :wink:

Keep up the writing...it'll come to you!!!!

S

smack

Yes Lil, your SS did look good in the shed. Notice mine is the last of em though, but I do intend keeping this one for a while. I had a great time riding it back from Lonnie. Best road to bond with a new bike on.

Nice read Techno, keep em coming. The poor old XS is semi retired again, I've thrown the 600SS at him to try to get him addicted to red bikes.

W

whitey

Nice report m8 8)

I've never been to Tassie ( yeah, I can't believe it myself !!! :roll:)
Will be rectifying that situation next year though... twice.

Top Bottom