Tornanti road yarns...Parts 1+2

C

Clowndog

Re: Tornanti road yarns...EuroAlps in OverDrive

would such a number kill the whole thing? Too many pics and it all becomes a blur, too few and the essence of THAT day might not come across.
Which way to go?

You could maybe do 50 photos in the normal fasion and do 100 thumbnails ? I imagine that would be a huge amount of work tho as im not sure how much of the thumbnail creation and linking process you could automate.

If thumbnails are too difficult to do on that scale, perhaps just hyperlinks for the hardcore viewers to follow or a link to a seperate gallery page for each segment, picasa or something ?

On another note, do you have any particular system for keeping track of so many pictures and the thoughts and impressions that go with them while you're on the road ? Love to hear your secret, I was considering taking along a voice recorder on my trips but that's me, im a bit of a gadget geek :D

Hytram

<-- now went that way

more the merrier :thumbs::thumbs:

its a freaken blur anyhow :glu

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

there were 2 more replies, one on email, the other a pm.

Here's a quote of TT's email:
Tough question!!
I have covered up to P3 and then
jumped along to 8 - super work mate, you are doing it justice and it's
not going to bore anyone who likes the thrill of the tour!!
OK the answer.
For me and what I expected to cover I saw and did it but
ended up being totally amazed by one day would have to be the
Assietta, not sure you can do it again now though???
...and that's part of why it's so special. I think the Dolomites will stand a few years more and the Susten will not be closed next year but that climb into the gods on the magic single lane of hot mix, followed by dirt that I
reckon I stood up for at least 1/2 hour on that R to reach the summit
was a huge surprise!!!
Can we do it again, can we ????

I need some more riding. PS Bruce reckons my riding has improved
heaps, I just flow along the roads. I am surprised at how wide our
lanes seem now and I am not using all the width of my own lane - even
the Strathgordon road seemed wide - go figure???
Cheers
tim2

...and yeah, my choice, too....and that's the day in question here.
One of the crown5 days we've had....and if any ONE day could be repeated exactly the way it was, it'd HAVE to be the Assietta...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

You could maybe do 50 photos in the normal fasion and do 100 thumbnails ? I imagine that would be a huge amount of work tho as im not sure how much of the thumbnail creation and linking process you could automate.

If thumbnails are too difficult to do on that scale, perhaps just hyperlinks for the hardcore viewers to follow or a link to a seperate gallery page for each segment, picasa or something ?

On another note, do you have any particular system for keeping track of so many pictures and the thoughts and impressions that go with them while you're on the road ? Love to hear your secret, I was considering taking along a voice recorder on my trips but that's me, im a bit of a gadget geek :D

Hi mate
Each idea has it's mkerits...the thumbnails? Like the idea, but it'd be very cumbersome as all pics sit on a server without any additional software or apps to run them. It'd also kill the flow of the whole thing....

Posting hyperlinks only is messy, nobody knows what's "behind" them and has to click each to find out.
Picasa is an option, but I'd hate to start and establish accounts somewhere, which over time would "vanish"...unless I purchase space somewhere.

The secret? It's a loose bunch of notes scribbled each night as we went along. Add the maps to get the names right...and follow the route in detail again while writing away.
The pics were sorted in day-folders, then 'filtered' over and over (after all, there were 5 cameras and many shots were similar/ from the same vantage point etc.)
Keeping track of which pic is which/ belongs where...
If you do a rightclick/properties on any of the posted pics, you'll see a filename like tor (for tornanti)...0574.jpg (day05....pic 74)
Each pic is re-named manually to get them into sequence, if I find the odd one that belongs into an earlier part of the sequence, the filename changes to tor5074a or b...c...d...whatever, this way they sequence in the day-folder on the HDD....same shows under ftp on the server they're uploaded to.
The only automated process is the re-sizing of the pics to max. allowed width of 700pixels.

C

Clowndog

In that case im with Marty H then, the more the merrier.

Bring it on !!! :wave:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Thanks for the ideas everyone...went through it again and again...but you'll still have to go through 132 of 'em...hope, the impact of that day will come across :glu:glu

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
On the Road...day7

A few clouds up there…but another good morning. :clap:

We’re planning a major stab north for the start, then see how it pans out.
The breakfast room looks like a “provencal”-design… warm, cosy and little knickknacks everywhere…

tor0701.jpg

tor0702.jpg

Cross-vaulted ceilings…this place is a few years old!

tor0703.jpg

The term “historical” takes on a whole different meaning here, too…there are many buildings from the 1200s to 1700s… private homes or hotels or commercial buildings from the 1600s aren’t really a rarity, many of them still going as to the original builders intent. And many of them are still the original family’s property.
The beer we drank a couple of nights ago in Guillaumes, the “1664” ?
Right!…brewed by the same folks since 1664 ! :drool:

The Col de Vars starts right at the front door…and drops into Guillestre.

tor0704.jpg

tor0705.jpg

tor0706.jpg

tor0707.jpg

tor0708.jpg

tor0709.jpg

tor0710.jpg

tor0711.jpg

It’s still nippy as we drop into Guillestre, the morning sun and clouds put on a dramatic show as the road dips

tor0712.jpg

tor0713.jpg

tor0714.jpg

tor0715.jpg

tor0716.jpg

tor0717.jpg

tor0718.jpg

tor0719.jpg

tor0720.jpg

Finding our way through town is a 5min affair, it’s still quiet.
Straight into another one of the Classics, the Col d’Izoard and into the Hautes Alpes proper.

Wanna ride with us, see what we’ll see along the way?
Get kitted up then and…. let’s boogie….:chug::chug:

tor0720a.jpg

tor0721.jpg

tor0722.jpg

tor0722a.jpg

tor0723.jpg

tor0723a.jpg

tor0724.jpg

tor0725.jpg

tor0726.jpg

Slowly things fall into a rhythm, the group moves stretched out across the key stretches, bunches close before towns…after stops everyone checks random panniers/ topcases and tankbags for loose bits or zips undone…
The trust-on-the-road is also growing day by day, close quarter riding while overtaking a line of cars hardly bears a thought…

tor0728.jpg

tor0729.jpg

tor0730.jpg

tor0730a.jpg

tor0731.jpg

And there they are…luring us for most of the climb up the d’Izoard, the glaciers are close now…we’re finally in the REAL mountains! :eek::so:so

tor0731a.jpg

tor0732.jpg

tor0732a.jpg

Looks like we’ve made good time, no surprise…traffic was light. :D
Let’s drop down to Briancon for a coffee and make more plans for the afternoon….there’s a tiny road from ahhh, what’s the name?? :???::???:

tor0733.jpg

tor0734.jpg

Jeez guys…we didn’t go THAT quick? :eek:

tor0735.jpg

tor0736.jpg

tor0737.jpg

tor0738.jpg

Typical Pete…taking the map to coffee...even to bed.

tor0739.jpg

Decisions are made….first a bit of quick commuting, tacking north up the valley, across the lowly Col de Lautaret to the western end of the Barrage du Chambon.

tor0740.jpg

tor0740a.jpg

Then we somehow have to find the D211A and 211B. One an extension to the other, they run along the steep mountainside parallel to the main road in the valley.
They call them the "Balcony-Roads"...
I’ve read about them on the net…and the pics on some mountain-bike related site had done it for me :glu:glu….it’s a DON'T MISS!

tor0741.jpg

The first little bit towards Alpe d’Huez

tor0741a.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
On the Road...day7 cont.

All of a sudden, things get messy. There’s an intersection, but no signs…a little further up the road ends in a small village. Or rather…narrows to about 2meters... (if that!) ....and then splits into various lanes leading any which way between the buildings.

From a birds-eye view, the next 20 mins would be hilarious:D:doh::so

A tiny hamlet glued to the steep hillside, a maze of narrow lanes and paths leading everywhere…and 5 bikes inching their way back and forth through the laneway-spaghetti…. making near-impossible U-turns, loose each other completely until only the mobile-phone gets them back together at the carpark just outside the place…and all that in the mid-day heat.
I mean…. the whole bloody place wouldn’t’ve been bigger than 100x100 meters, Jeezaz!! :eek::eek:

After all that, we reverse our steps and finally come across the sign…
There we go ! Found it ! :kna::kna

tor0742.jpg

Did I say that the pics looked spectacular on the net?
Cop THIS then !! :slobb:slobb

tor0743.jpg

tor0744.jpg

tor0745.jpg

tor0746.jpg

tor0747.jpg

tor0748.jpg

This is just incredible. The little single-laner claws its way along the hillside, the views are majestic…the pace drops to a crawl…is this for real?? :glu

tor0749.jpg

tor0750.jpg

tor0751.jpg

tor0752.jpg

tor0753.jpg

tor0756.jpg

tor0758.jpg

tor0759.jpg

tor0760.jpg

tor0761.jpg

We hit the “main” road again at La Garde, just a kilometre from Le Bourg d’Oisans.
Everyone’s gasping, the bikes as well…a round a liquids for everyone!
A small servo offers itself….
Karel’s face says it all.
Another attempt is made to contact Renato/ BiancoBlu regarding the swap of the bikes…"are the 2 GS12s ready? Where and when can we meet?"
No replies...

tor0762.jpg

It’s a quick stretch back to the Col de Lautaret…near the top is the turn-off up yet another one of the Great Old Classics…the Col de Galibier.

( Writing this now…how much can one cram into a single day? How much can one absorb of all this? It’s mind-boggling!)

tor0763.jpg

Climbing…and climbing…and climbing…the Galibier is a high one at over 2600m

tor0764.jpg

tor0765.jpg

tor0766.jpg

tor0768.jpg

tor0769.jpg

The Citroen 2CV …or commonly known as “The Duck”. It went out of production sometime in the ‘80s after a production-run in the millions, this one looks either very well-kept…or restored. It’s a true cult-car over here…like the little Fiat 500 or the original Beetle.
No powerhouse with a 2cyl 600cc Boxer engine…but it gets you there.
EVERYTIME !

tor0770.jpg

Couldn’t let that one slide past, aye? :D

tor0771.jpg

tor0772.jpg

tor0773.jpg

Dropping towards St. Michel de Maurienne

tor0774.jpg

tor0776.jpg

tor0777.jpg

Decisions have to be made from here…there’s lots of uncertainty about the Col de Finestre and Assietta Ridge Road at this stage. The last 2 weeks before leaving AUS I’d scoured the Euro newsgroups and forums…and there were lots of threads regarding those 2 roads and their closure for bikes and quads (only!!…all other vehicles are fine!!!! :eek::eek::eek:)

Controversy, too…
The pics posted showed signs that the roads were closed, others insisting that they’d done them the week before and all was fine…no conclusions offered. Hmmmphhhh…
Fines are HEFTY if caught...instant confiscation of bikes has happened before...and foreign tourists are NOT excluded!!

Two ways to cut east from where we are…the Frejus-Tunnel or the longer way via Lanslebourg, then south across the Mt. Cenis to Susa…starting point of the Finestre.
Which carries one of the question marks…from there it’s about 80km to the other side of the Finestre, which seemed to be unaffected by the closures…the Assietta starts close to the top of the Col de Finestre.

Some concrete-spaghetti got us to the Frejus Tunnel…but at a 107 Euros for 5 bikes, we baulked ! Big, fat clouds were pushing in fast, too…

tor0778.jpg

Then the dreaded main-road to Modane first, some roadworks in town directed us onto the old road via Aussois up the valley…NOICE!:D:cool:

Nice sweepers mixed with some tighter sections, little traffic…the going is good, but the afternoon is coming to a close.
Tootling through Lanslebourg, the skies behind us are black when this catches our eye...

tor0801.jpg

The Hotel Les Marmottes it is then!

tor0779.jpg

Oh Gosh…what a day….that D211 Balcony Road cut deep, what a PERLER !!

Close your eyes...whadda ya see?

tor0780.jpg

motorradrudi

Tour Pro

Hi Pete,

well done! VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :glu:glu:glu

All those fantastic pics - still a dream!

"A dream came true"

That's a grandiose tour - don't wanna miss one of the pics!

And all that without any traffic! Still alone on the roads!

Beste greatings
Rudi

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

"A dream came true"

That's a grandiose tour - don't wanna miss one of the pics!

And all that without any traffic! Still alone on the roads!

Beste greatings
Rudi

Yes, a dream come true...
did it ever!

Top Bottom