Xmas ADV ride

nev

Super Térrarist
The BMW MCC VIc are holding their annual christmas camp for 6 nights at Bright, starting on boxing day. We only have the weekend and public holidays off work, so we could only stay there 2 nights. No other plans for Christmas day, so decided it would be a great day to head out to the hills and hit a few roads which Jo hadn't ridden before, and camp overnight somewhere on the way to Bright, so I devised the following route. Almost exactly 100km of sealed road followed by about 200km of almost all unsealed road... and none of the few few pubs and general stores we would pass would be open so we topped up with fuel in Healesville on the way out, knowing the next fuel would be in Jamieson Or Mansfield.

(It's worth noting, if you're navigating these roads, that both Woods Point and Dargo are shown in the wrong places on Google Maps, and you should refer to a real map to find out where these towns really exist)

For much of the morning we were riding through cloud in the hills and the temperatures were around 6C

IMG_1345.JPG

on the Woods Point Road

IMG_1347.JPG

9 Mile Road

IMG_1349.JPG

visibility was quite limited.

IMG_1352.JPG

There are often reported sightings in the Victorian bush of Panthers or other black cats. At one stage down near the Thompson dam, I rounded a corner to see what looked like a large black cat moving off the road and up a bank. I would think that whatever I saw could quite easily be mistaken for a big black cat, but from the angle I saw it, and the fact that it was headed directly away from me, it was impossible to identify, however my initial instinct told me that it wasn't moving as gracefully as a cat would... it was more doglike. The next day a dark wallaby crossed the road in front of me near Whitfield. I reckon it's possible/likely that whatever I saw might have actually been a wallaby... but who knows. Sorry,, it was way to quick for me. No pictures

We stopped for a picnic lunch in one of the picnic grounds near Thompson Dam. The dam level has risen slightly since the last time I took a photo here, about 18 months ago.

IMG_1356.JPG

The road north of the dam is quite bumpy and narrow in places. Later in the afternoon I noticed the front section of one of my driving lights had bounced itself right out of the lamp base. Only a cheapie from Repco so no biggie.

IMG_1358.JPG

Stopped at the grave of Kitty Cane

IMG_1363.JPG

Hard to believe that a century and a half ago this was a busy throughfare between the goldfields of NE vic and the supply routes through Gippsland.

IMG_1370.JPG

near Gaffney's creek

IMG_1374.JPG

camped next to the Kevington Pub. Jo's busy cooking :)

IMG_1376.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
Day 2, we leave Kevington, refuel in Jamieson, a nutricious breakfast pie at the Mansfield bakery then up to Whitfield. Turned right to Cheshunt then took a detour into the national park to see Paradise falls. This is the view from the carpark near the falls.

IMG_1384.JPG

The falls weren't that spectacular.

Headed out past Lake Buffalo and into Bright for a relaxing afternoon (which means setting up the tent, having a shower and napping ;)

Day 3, We set off for a dayride around 8:30am. Destination Dargo. Was intending to do a loop to the pub for lunch, but we've set out a lot earlier than expected.

First on the agenda is a trip up Mt Hotham.

IMG_1389.JPG

Just before the summit we take the turnoff onto the Dargo High Plains Road

IMG_1391.JPG

The road is in really good condition. Mostly hard packed and only minimal dust being raised.

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

About 20km north of Dargo, another bike approaches. As we get close I recognise "Shrek" (the bike not the rider).

IMG_1398.JPG

Pete and Goodie are heading from Dargo to Omeo. By this time I have formulated our plans to arrive around Omeo/Anglers rest for lunchtime. We chat for a few mins and then head on our ways. They advise of a herd of cattle being driven up the road ahead..

IMG_1400.JPG

Feeling quite adventurous I have planned to take a road from Dargo to Omeo of which I cannot find a lot of information but I have plotted the course pretty well in the GPS. Some navigating info follows.
About 5km north of Dargo we take the Upper Dargo Road. This road follows the river valley for about 15km, passing several well populated camping sites. The first intersection is unsignposted after about 8km. The road splits in two, to the left climbing up a hill, we take the road to the right which crosses the river almost immediately. Pretty quickly the road goes from a dusty 2 lane road to a rocky single lane 2 wheel tracks hugging the edge of a hill and climbing quite steeply for a few km.

IMG_1402.JPG

Another 5.5km the next intersection has the main track veering left and another track veering right. There's an Omeo sign nailed to the tree. I know we're on the right track.

IMG_1404.JPG

1.5km further along the track again splits left and right, the main track to the right is signposted to Swifts Creek. We take the road to the left, signposted as Birregun Rd. For the next 42km the few intersections are signposted with whole or partial Birregun Rd signs.

This road is wide and hard packed, hardly any dust, we can maintain a pretty good speed, and it climbs and climbs and climbs and climbs. We visit Dogs Grave on our way (the burial place of a drover's dog many years ago). Its a few metres down a track off the main road and a nice picnic area also exists there.

IMG_1406.JPG

As best as I can ascertain from Google Earth, the Dargo pub is about 660ft ASL and the road climbs to about 4500ft ASL before dropping down to abou 2500ft at Upper Livingstone Rd. That road took us back to the bitumen on the Cassiles Rd and then a 10km cruise into Omeo.

IMG_1412.JPG

Stop at the Petrol station to refuel and there are two familiar bikes parked in the corner, and we join Pete and Goodie for lunch at the bakery next door.

Last edited:

nev

Super Térrarist
All four of us ride together up the Omeo Hwy past Anglers Rest and up the Bonang High Plains road to Falls creek ski resort.

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

Then it's down to Mt Beauty and back to camp at Bright for a well earned beer or 6:)

The trip home was a pretty uneventful trip taking the usual routes through Carboor, Whitfield, Mansfield, Yea and home via Whittlesea.

IMG_1432.JPG

This is on the road near Flowerdale.. Noticed it a few weeks ago. Still not sure which building it refers too.

IMG_1436.JPG

My complete photo album of the trip is at http://www.thisstupidurl.com/2009/xmas2009

Last edited:

tim

RIP Marco # 58
Staff member
Hey Nev and Jo, Saw both of you coming out of mansfield yesterday.. Nev was one of the few riders that actually nodded back yesterday.. :) :)

Also came across Pete and Goodie in Myrtleford, it's hard to miss "Shrek" when it pulls out in front of you (safely :) )

A mate and myself were heading to Hotham but ran out of time just before Bright. As it was we covered 800 k's yesterday and didn't get home until nearly 10pm.. No pics were taken so no ride report, sorry :(

nev

Super Térrarist
I must have snubbed you... everyone else got a wave. :woot:

You must have had a pretty late start. It must have been heading towards 1pm by the time we were leaving Mansfield, and we left Bright around 10 am.

Last edited:

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Nice trip Nev & Jo, cool pics as well. The roads around Dargo have improved a lot since I was last in that area in the mid `80s.

B

Bee Cee

The drover must have been totally gutted to lose his dog and then erect an expensive memorial. His soulmate withwhom he lived with everyday for probably 20 years an mostly alone in the Australian bush----best mates. Very sobering to see .Good pic, great post. Wardy

Top Bottom