Over The Shoulder....Rides through the Decades

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
As life, events and rides roll along year after year, things tend to blur into each other.
“Remember when...” turns into “I think there might’ve been...” and trying to sort out who was on which trip, what happened when and where and to whom is all turning into mush.

Time to “look over the shoulder” and put things together from old ride-reports, pics stashed away for a long time and comments of those who were there, possibly shaking lose some memories of things here and there.

Some of those who came along on all those trips have somehow “faded away”...others came and went....but quite a few are still around.

A few pics to pull the trigger... and it will be a bit of a project for a while.

Where better to start than with the “early days” of digital cameras and the all-conquering JPG’s...

There weren’t too many motorcycle-related groups on the Net then, the AusMoto Newsgroup the only Australian online- mob around, including Jason and Vic, who , a little later, founded NetRider first as a Yahoo-based newsgroup, turning into a forum later (2002-03?).

No ADVrider, no HorizonsUnlimited, no mcnews, Overclockers, owner forums....this was Forum-Ice Age. I doubt even the BoM being on the net at the time, so we couldn’t check weather ourselves, but had to believe whatever the Channel 9 weather bunny was telling us.

Bikes, rides, travel....it’s been a ripsnorter of a decade...or two !!
laola.gif
laola.gif

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Sept '01_ Euro Alps

European Alps from/to Vienna.

Another Usenet Bike Group in Austria (at.freizeit.motorrad) had been the contact to organize a bike-swap with a couple near Vienna.

We took their bikes for a 3week ride through the European Alps, they took our bikes for a 3 week ride around Vic some months later....and it all worked out great.:thumbs:

Mick G organized a then brandnew Canon Powershot A20....2mp... at a fantastic price, used for the shots below.

The 300kg Honda PC800....Cruiser with Tupperware-coat and the ~ 350kg BM-monster, wrong kit for the Alps, but we had to find that out ourselves.

004.jpg

It sparked our love for Slovenia:woot:

022.jpg

Discovered the Local’s taste for fast “tripods”:drool:

033.jpg

035.jpg

Grossglockner, Austria

036.jpg

“Danced” in the Dolomites/ Northern Italy

053.jpg

056.jpg

067.jpg

Stayed with friends in Merano and rode the Mendel Pass.

078.jpg

...and the Gorge Road into the Eggen Valley.

079.jpg

Across the Timmelsjoch into the Oetz-Valley to visit the folks in Vent where I learned how to ski as a kid.

091.jpg

Lost our hearts in Glurns, the medieval town that was granted city rights over 1000years ago.

095.jpg

Had to ride the Passo di Stelvio, too...:doh::so

099.jpg

...and watched the local "pines" change colour amongst the ice-giants of the Swiss Bernina Mountains near St. Moritz

103.jpg

Walked the Tschuppa Gorge in Southern Austria/ Slovenian border

116.jpg

...and gave “oma”(granny) a spin on the BM...and she was "talk of the town" for a month. :D

120.jpg

Spotted the only KTM shaftie ever built

124.jpg

Checked out a tiny bit of Vienna on the way out

131.jpg

For the complete yarn and ALL the pics (total ~135)

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1683

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
November '01__6_peaks #1

Vic High Country

Australia-Day weekend ...and we didn’t know it then, but this was the start of something that’s still rolling at full steam more than 15 years later.

The Original 6-peaks
(...and the start of endless tour-shirts for all of the big rides)

It all started with Graham and Joy getting hitched in Eildon :chug:

6peaks1_07.jpg

6peaks1_06.jpg

L to R: Latte Dave (FondaHonda)...Lee on BabyBlade, frozen white....Danny Trumpy TT6...Graham in front, MickG (MickG) in the back...Joy...Jason...Dave Mountainhitter GSXF750 and Jan, his better half.

IMG_0719.JPG

Latte-Dave on the CBR6 and MickG at Dinner Plains

6peaks1_02.jpg

Christ, was it miserable up there or what? Mayhem on the Falls Creek Rd. Bikes down like flies.
That "carpark" is right in the middle of the Falls Creek Rd.
(and the pic is still used in the NetRider forum banner)

6peaks1_04.jpg

It’d sometimes turned into a “survival” ride along the way...
IMG_0725.JPG

For the complete yarn and ALL the pics (total ~a dozen)
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175

Last edited by a moderator:

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Re: Over The Shoulder....Rides Of A Decade

Each Story an Adventure!
Thanks for remembering Your Trips of the last 10 Years around the world.
Links are very helpful.
Comments from Yesterday and now are excellent,
but not very different.
I want to watch for more....... of course :clap:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Each Story an Adventure!
Thanks for remembering Your Trips of the last 10 Years around the world.
Links are very helpful.
Comments from Yesterday and now are excellent,
but not very different.
I want to watch for more....... of course :clap:

Hi Hans
Yeah, that's the idea.
Each story an adventure...It's just getting harder and harder trying to keep track.

S

Storm Shadow

that looks cold, funny how they all add up, the rides ive done over th eyears, the many rides i never documented, pre dating the internet, and digital cameras.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Yeah, mate....looking back, it's absolutely amazing what's been accumulating just over the last 10 years or so.

It all seems to get squeezed out of frame by the never-ending fresh input...and that's a bloody shame.
Sometimes, a look back gives a whole new focus forward, too.

S

Storm Shadow

Yeah, mate....looking back, it's absolutely amazing what's been accumulating just over the last 10 years or so.

It all seems to get squeezed out of frame by the never-ending fresh input...and that's a bloody shame.
Sometimes, a look back gives a whole new focus forward, too.

sometimes to see something new, you must go to where you have been as the world is constantly changing.

ive still got a heep of pics i took with an old 35mm film camera on some of my trips. the old wind it your self jobs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

sometimes to see something new, you must go to where you have been as the world is constantly changing.

True.
Re: old pics....reminds me of a few boxes full of slides in the bottom of the cupboard. One of those days....wonder, if they still make globes for slide-projectors?
Think, last time, 20 years ago, the globe blew....that projector is most probably a huntsmen's graveyard by now, anyway. :lol:

Sorry to everyone incl. Nathan here...found a heap of folders of rides that were never uploaded nor a RR written and had to backpedal quickly (deleting a few of my own posts to "get the sequence right).

Stuff will come back on....but it'd be a shame to just let those pics sit there gathering dust.

Oh boy, there are some classics amongst the stuff.:chug:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
2001_Mornington Peninsula

Sometime through the winter months....

Goodie took the shot
Looking into the camera Mark Micallef.... MickG with the cap.... Jason, as always, feeding himself....Dave Mountainhitter...Rupert (damige) , laughing...Pete (glitch)....Danny on the front-right.

IMG_0257.JPG

Arthurs Seat

IMG_0255.JPG

Rupert (damige) and the Green Monster-Smoker

IMG_0260.JPG

Top Bottom