AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
robbieb
The 2 Headed Tassie Pyro

Default Not Bike Travelling Canada and the USA

Well, Tassie Dave was quite content to use all the available bandwidth on the Lake Leake Forum Projector, and due to the Lake Leake Social Club meeting the second night we never got back to any more slide shows. So since some may be interested, I thought I'd post up the pics I was going to show of my recent trip to Canada and the USA, even though I didn't ride any bikes!

My sister was living in Montreal and my Dad and Step Mum live on Vancouver Island, so the purpose of the trip was to go see my sister whilst she was still there, and pop on down and see NYC and Washington DC briefly. We were restricted to 3 weeks due to my fiancee being a school teacher and needing to be back for first term, and a friend's wedding the day before we left.

Cattle Class through Auckland and on to Vancouver for a night to recover somewhat from the jet lag. If you haven't travelled on Air New Zealand lately, you've been missing out! They are cashing in on The Hobbit / LOTR franchise and have made a rather amusing safety briefing video

www.youtube.com/embed/cBlRbrB_Gnc
robbieb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
robbieb
The 2 Headed Tassie Pyro

Default Re: Not Bike Travelling Canada and the USA

Arrival to a gloomy overcast Vancouver day, catching the sky train direct from the airport to down town in about 20mins for about $5.50! Come on Melbourne, you have something to learn from this...

A night in the city to recover from the jet lag a bit, then on the train back out towards the airport, and a bus link to the Tswassen Ferry terminal for a ride across to Vancouver Island. The cloud was a touch higher and the North Van mountains are just visible in the distance

My dad had said it was supposed to be sunny, things are looking a little brighter across the ditch so hoping for some improvement

The trip take us through a string of smaller islands, with awesome houses nestled on the banks - what a place to live, eh?

With the crossing timed to meet the sister ship right in the strait and a blast of the horn

Arriving at the terminal and walking up to meet the folks, then a drive to Sydney, yeah, that's right, Sydney, (which is just outside Victoria, the capital of BC) where we go for some lunch of Clam Chowder out on the little blue pier restaurant. Talk about driftwood...

The Empress Hotel in Victoria, the thing is covered in green ivy in the warmer months, and turns red in the fall

Parliament building across the harbour. Victoria is supposedly the busiest airport in the world without a runway, float planes are in and out of the place like flies in the peak tourist season, but still regular flights throughout the year

Things stay gray for the day, only a little glimpse of some sun here and there. We arrive at the folks home in the dark.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
robbieb
The 2 Headed Tassie Pyro

A calm morning and this is the view from the house, across Cowichan bay into Genoa Bay with Mt Tzouhalem dominating the horizon. Not bad, eh?

A wander down to the Cowichan Bay marina where a plethora of fishing boats and marina pong delight the senses. This old girl was one of my favourites

Obviously Canada is the home of maple syrup, here some locals are collecting their own. It is a fairly clear and runny liquid, only becoming dark and rich with heating to further concentrate it.

The Kinsol Trestle over the Koksilah River, had been left abandoned and deteriorating after the last train rumbled across it in 1979. In 2008, a restoration project was undertaken and it is now part of the Trans Canada Trail, which you can walk, cycle or horse ride over. No motors allowed though

http://www.kinsol.ca/

A typical Canadian lake side. This is Shawnigan Lake.

Hummingbirds are local to the area, and my dad and step mum have a feeder on the veranda, and managed to camp out long enough to capture this little guy in flight. Shy though, he didn't like the flash, and was off in well... a flash!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
robbieb
The 2 Headed Tassie Pyro

The small marina below the house, so calm, so peaceful, the calm water, misty cloud and hint of sun. Bulk Carrier ship anchored in the deeper water.

This old wooden twin mast is a father son restoration project. Been going at it for quite a few years now

Down in Duncan for lunch and a walk around the "City of Totems" came across a Ural Sidecar outfit. The owner returns and says it is a 2006, last of the carby models before they went all modern with EFI

Chemainus is up island a little. It is a town of murals, and where Sheffield here in Tassie got their idea for the murals depicting historical scenes of the area. Understandably, the theme for most of these here are First Nations and logging

After a few nights on the island, time to head back to Vancouver for a couple of nights

It was a perfect winter day. We look forward to a day in the city on the morrow
Old 13-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
dougman1
Pit Crew

Hey Robbie, Nice Innit. You have some serene shots there mate. Very nice to see a different part of the world.
dougman1 is offline   Reply With Quote