AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
John & Johnny
Pit Crew

Default Ayers Rock with 7yo son

This is my son Andrew. He is 7 years old and wants me to take him to Ayres Rock. (Uluru).
As you can see we are well on the way.

It's 1997 and I'm not long back from my last trip around Australia. Young Andrew reckons he can do whatever his older brother can do and besides...it's his turn. Ahhh, sibling rivaly.
At the time there was no law stopping a 7 year old from being a pillion passenger so long as they can reach the foot pegs. Andrew can...just!
Last time I caught the bus to Uluru from Pt Augusta after my old BMW R100RS got too hot. When I was standing on top of the rock, I naively put 2 stones in my pocket. Friends tell me I'm now cursed and they must be returned to the sacred place from whence they came.
So, off we go. The stones are in my pocket and I hope you enjoy sharing our story.
John & Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: Ayres Rock with 7yo son

Whooohooo....here we go again!!

If I'd been one of your mob.... just call me "Footloose".
The seeds you sow.....
(not that my tribe made a bad job of it )
Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Williamson
Pit Crew

Looking forward to reading about Andrew's first beer, first smoke, first visit
to a topless bar, first meeting with British backpackers ..........
Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
John & Johnny
Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamson View Post
Looking forward to reading about Andrew's first beer, first smoke, first visit
to a topless bar, first meeting with British backpackers ..........
They were Swedish backpackers and I'll tell you about them when we get to Coober Pedy.

edit. The British backpacker was Kalgoorlie. Did I slip up and tell you about the Coober Pedy backpackers when we were at Eskdale?! Lol!

Last edited by John & Johnny; 01-02-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
John & Johnny
Pit Crew

Day 1. Melbourne to Adelaide. 726km. We checked into the Sands motel right beside the Arkaba pub. It's a great pub with 50 types of schnitzels. The Sands is a budget motel, but clean and perfectly adequate for our needs.
Day 2. Adelaide to Coober Pedy 845km. We're not dawdling on this trip. Not long after we stopped at the Glendambo roadhouse, a car crossed over the white line and was heading straight for us. It all happened in an instant. I made the split second decision to veer left and hit the desert sand. The ABS may have saved us here as I could hear the brrp, brrp, brrp as we hit the dirt at 100kph. We came to a stop in a cloud of dust and the car that almost killed us kept going. Maybe I should have just brushed the dirt off and kept going but I was ropeable. My blood was boiling so I turned around and took off him. After a high speed chase I dropped in beside him. I looked at my speedo and we were doing 145kph and this bastard was still asleep! The horn didn't get his attention so I banged on his window with my fist. This jolted him awake and he pulled over. My yelling at him didn't have much of an effect. He just said he'd driven non-stop from Darwin and he was sorry. I wanted to smash him in the face. I wanted to take his keys. I wanted to end this prick like he almost ended us. Instead, I told him to get some sleep at Glendambo, then I turned around and continued North. What would you have done?