AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 23-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Default 4 days and one pair of Jocks....

had some time off in the first week of the new year and the wife was working, if was either sit on the couch in my jocks or see if those said jocks would last 4 continuous days in the saddle in the middle of summer (yes, I am running out of genuine reasons to ride, like you need one)

the idea was to just map out all the good roads I haven't done in a while, pack a tent, head off and be within a day's travel back to home on night 3

first, tent or swag. The Tent won, the swag had too many negatives

so, Day1: Melbourne to Glenmaggie (camping) via Jindivik, Baw Baw/Thompson Dam, Jamieson, Licola.

first Piss stop...

the angry S10 at Thomson Dam

another glamour shot a little up from Aberfeldy

and the veiw behind the bike

the view next to the bike

and another View, I like views

headed up through Woods Point, it was a corrugated mess with all the holiday 4wd traffic

this photo is becoming a little common

goto Jamieson for a very late lunch, temp was 30 degrees. Quick bite to eat, top up the fluids and off again this time south

the Licola Rd, great in places, bloody rocky in others.

somewhere south of Licola

found a little hill and clearing just north of Glenmaggie, not sure if I was suppose to camp there, didn't really care either way, set up camp, ate some soup and went to bed...

about 480km for the day, which was good seeing I didnt leave home until close to 11am

route for the Day
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p-...tI&usp=sharing

day 2: that way ->

Last edited by Hytram; 23-01-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Sir Francis
King of the Hill

Default Re: 4 days and one pair of Jocks....

brilliant photos as always Marty

76 (70/147/10/193/105/63/211/305/471/635) days and counting...
Sir Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Day2: Glenmaggie to Dartmouth (camping) via Freestone Creek Rd, Dargo, High Plains Road (chicken out on Blue Rag) Omeo, Mitta Mitta, Mt Benambra and camped on Gibb Range Rd

woke to a 4wd trying drive past my camp, the joys of camping in the middle of nowhere, he did a uturn and all was good

first piss stop for day 2, Freestone Creek Rd was as good as ever and being earlier in the day, not much traffic, but all camping spots were rather full

as I was taking the above photo, a 1200GSA turned up and asked if I was OK and then asked if I knew much about Blue Rag Track, all I knew was that I wanted to do it, but was never game to do it alone, so off we went, 2 fully loaded pigs. what could possibly go wrong? We stopped off at Dargo for fuel and fluids and up the High Plains Rd we went..

this is at a spot called Mick's Cattle Grid, no cattle grid anymore as it's in a State Park these days, always stop to take a photo here

The Dargo High Plains Rd was in average condition, heavy rains had muddied it up, it had dried but pot holes and wheel tracks remained and the traffic.... Main St at peak hour!

got to Blue Rag Track, 5 4WDs waiting, another 4 coming out of it. It was dry, shaley, cut up and we were on overloaded Pigs... off we went

this is as far as we got, about 2 kms in. It went down hill very quickly here and just too broken up for the big beasts, Peter on the 1200GSA had to be back in Sydney the day after next and I had to be back in Melbourne, it wasnt to be this time, maybe on smaller bikes or in better conditions

its a pretty area all the same

Peter and I said goodbye and off to Omeo for lunch

Last edited by Hytram; 23-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 23-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Omeo was full of bikes and I had the usual pie and snot block from the Bakery, then it was up to Mitta Mitta on the glorious Omeo Hwy

it must be the day for it, stop at the Mitta Mitta General Store for more Fluids and got talking to a guy on a XT660 on Tourances that had been getting lost on tracks in the High Country for the last few days, I was heading up the to the fire lookout at Mt Benambra which is the one of the few fire towers with a public access platform on it and then onto the Barry Way and was happy to have some company across some unknown roads..

the climb up was OK, a little steep in parts but do-able if you don't get too excited..

the view, sadly it was a little smoggy, but still very much worth it

on the way down the other side Mt Benambra Rd was a little steep in parts and I had my only drop for the trip, I had the ABS turned off and I locked the rear on a downhill, a very off camber slight left-hander and I had a very slow lowside, would have been a 30sec problem but the locking system on the Yamaha Panniers jammed when the pannier popped off... 10 mins of banging a swearing I was on my way (and I have ordered a set of Givi Pannier racks to throw the E45's back on)..

the area through here is great, it becomes farmland that you have to open and close gates, then Gibb Range rd is a very good and fast dual track that follows the side of the state park, highly recommended

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MB...8w&usp=sharing

coming over Mt Benambra Rd is a bit steep, but coming in from the North West via Tallangatta Creek Rd would be easier going

we found a nice little campground on the Dart River and set up camp, lit a fire and had another can of soup....

route for Day 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lJ...l4&usp=sharing

Last edited by Hytram; 23-01-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 23-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Francis View Post
brilliant photos as always Marty
thanks, just the phone, they have suffered a little to having the phone in a Lifeproof case which adds another bit of clear plastic over the lens, but I don't think it's really worth taking a real camera with me these days.